Make IPA Clear Again

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

wepeeler

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
A couple of years ago I won Best of Show at a local comp. Part of the 'win' was the opportunity to brew at a local upscale brewery/restaurant.

On the evening the beer was tapped, the restaurant owner and head brewmaster asked me to brief all the servers and bar staff about my beer, so they could tell patrons what they could expect, just like telling customers about a chef's special offerings on the menu. My beer got a lot of positive reviews from both the patrons and the staff, who were able to give the customers an accurate description of what was on tap.

Knowledge is power in the hands of the consumer, and also results in bigger tips for the wait staff.
Congrats! And I agree 100%. Knowledgeable wait staff goes a long way. And improves your chance of getting a beer you really want!

wepeeler

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Here is the question...does hazy, murky beer taste better than crystal clear, brilliant hyper clear beer? Which of these is prettier?

Before you answer, remember that we taste with our eyes first.
You have to compare apples to apples. A hazy East Coast ipa is not a brilliantly clear West Coast ipa. They also don't claim to be.

Oleson M.D.

Reaction score
You have to compare apples to apples. A hazy East Coast ipa is not a brilliantly clear West Coast ipa. They also don't claim to be.

Ok, let's compare beer-to-beer.
Does a hazy/murky beer taste better than a clear beer?

Just like a good steak, you taste with your eyes first. As I'm in the crowd that believes hazy beer is a flaw, we will pick the clear beer every time.

day_trippr

"This Space For Rent"
Reaction score
They both have their assets.
And a proper neipa looks pretty tasty to my eyes...

1655835018582.jpeg

Cheers!

wepeeler

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score

Just like a good steak, you taste with your eyes first. As I'm in the crowd that believes hazy beer is a flaw, we will pick the clear beer every time.
Again, you need to compare apples to apples. A hazy neipa tastes better than a clear neipa. You can't compare it to a WC IPA. When the haze drops, it takes with it a lot of the juiciness and mouthfeel.

Now a hazy Pils vs a clear Pils is a better comparison. Obviously you want a Pils to be brilliantly clear. It's part of the style guidelines, just like haze is acceptable in the sub category of 21C: Hazy IPA. It's literally in the description. "Hazy, often opaque..."

Oleson M.D.

Reaction score
Again, you need to compare apples to apples. A hazy neipa tastes better than a clear neipa. You can't compare it to a WC IPA. When the haze drops, it takes with it a lot of the juiciness and mouthfeel.

Now a hazy Pils vs a clear Pils is a better comparison. Obviously you want a Pils to be brilliantly clear. It's part of the style guidelines, just like haze is acceptable in the sub category of 21C: Hazy IPA. It's literally in the description. "Hazy, often opaque..."
Good to know. I'm just not a fan of haze. Glad some people like hazy / murky / cloudy beverages. I'm not in that camp, just a personal problem.

When tasting two Pale Premium Czech Lagers, one hazy, one clear, the clear beer was the choice. It tasted cleaner, more crisp, less hoppy. The hazy beer has cleared out now, being brilliant.

If God had wanted beers to be hazy, Pilsner Urquell would have had hazy beer.

wepeeler

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Good to know. I'm just not a fan of haze. Glad some people like hazy / murky / cloudy beverages. I'm not in that camp, just a personal problem.

When tasting two Pale Premium Czech Lagers, one hazy, one clear, the clear beer was the choice. It tasted cleaner, more crisp, less hoppy. The hazy beer has cleared out now, being brilliant.

If God had wanted beers to be hazy, Pilsner Urquell would have had hazy beer.
Well I understand that the words "hazy" and "murky" seem similar when describing something, but not in beer. Even the BJCP description says 21C can be hazy, but not murky. I've seen a ton of hazies turn brown-ish because of oxidation, and that's what I'm assuming murky is, as a descriptor. But a nice fresh hazy neipa is beautiful. Especially in sunlight. It practically glows!

In your case of the lagers, the hazy lager needed conditioning to drop out unwanted particles. That results in a brilliant, crisp beer. And is very indicative of the style. Just like the haze adds to the overall experience of a well-crafted neipa. The same unwanted particles are a flaw in a lager.

Also, light beers, such as lagers, typically use lower protein grists than neipa and the lager yeasts do not react the same way to the extra hops in a neipa. Supposedly the haze is stabilized by yeast and hop (and grain protein) interaction. There is so much more of all of that in a neipa vs a lager (or even alight ale ie Golden ale)

I think we're "arguing" the same idea, just from different angles.

Last edited:

bwible

I drink, and I know things
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My problem is haze has always been considered a flaw, often the result of poor brewing habits.
Hazy beer is why they used stone mugs for beer drinking two hundred years ago.
When the breweries started making light pilsners, that were clear, and actually pretty to look at, clear drinking glasses became popular for the light lagers.
Or pewter mugs

YeastFeast

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
A Hazy IPA tastes better than a clear IPA most of the time in my opinion.
I would argue that if you walked into random bars, restaurants, breweries and did taste tests with 10 people at each, 8/9 of 10 people would pick the Hazy as the better tasting beer.

YeastFeast

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Some breweries have admitted to adding flour to get the haze:

How pathetic! I could care less about haze (or amount of) as long as it has no bitterness, proper hop aroma & mouthfeel and taste like what a hazy IPA is supposed to taste like.

Oleson M.D.

Reaction score
How pathetic! I could care less about haze (or amount of) as long as it has no bitterness, proper hop aroma & mouthfeel and taste like what a hazy IPA is supposed to taste like.

I would like to see a double blind taste test, Hazed IPA vs Clear IPA. These would need to be the same beers.

TBA

Reaction score
I like orange juice more than apple juice. I guess that’s why I like hazy NEIPAs more than clear beers. Lol

Reaction score
A Hazy IPA tastes better than a clear IPA most of the time in my opinion.
I would argue that if you walked into random bars, restaurants, breweries and did taste tests with 10 people at each, 8/9 of 10 people would pick the Hazy as the better tasting beer.
This isn't a popularity contest. It is about not selling everything with the label IPA so that consumers know what they are going to get.

Some of us love a West Coast IPA.

renstyle

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
2022, when attempts to find a decent clear (WC is my fave) IPA at local stores becomes a scavenger hunt.

I think they hide most of them with all of the Brown and Mild ales!

ghpeel

Reaction score
I quit brewing around 2016-2017, and was burnt out on beer for a few years. Re-discovered my love of good lager in that phase and returned to the beer scene recently only to find the hawt new thing was ... CLOUDY IPA?!? The inmates are running the asylum! I agree that it seems like a real convenient way for breweries to sell imperfect/green beers by describing them as 'intentionally' cloudy.