Make IPA Clear Again

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

IAMNOMAD

Reaction score
The word they use is “juicy”. It’s like people want to say they drink IPA but they don’t like hops. When they brew the beer they don’t use any boil hops at all and either put a massive amount of hops in at flameout in one charge or they wait until the beer has cooled some and just whirlpool all the hops at 170 degrees for an hour or something.

If you want juice, they sell Juicy Juice in a little box with a straw you can poke through a hole.
I think it’s more that some people don’t like ANY bitterness but love the aroma/flavor of the hops.

Beerstein

Reaction score
I made a Lemondrop smash a few weeks ago with an IBU of 70. It was the most riduculously light color and clear beer I've ever made. It was pretty dang good too.

OP
OP
Nagorg

Nagorg

If a frog had wings...
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I will say that I recently participated in a beer swap. @TheDudeLebowski hooked me up with a few of what are generally thought of as the best of the hazy's.
I had the pleasure of trying some from Tree House, Trillium and The Alchemist (Heady Topper and Focal Banger).

I was really happy to try the Alchemist beers. None of these beers are available in my neck of the woods. But of the hazy's I tried, 2 stood out above the rest and I'd buy these if they were available here.

1) Tree House - Very Hazy (Funny that this would be my favorite huh? :p )
2) Trillium - LAX2JFK: in the Cloud's

Both of those beers were very tasty and had aroma, bitterness and non-OJ flavor that put them at the top of my list.

So, just goes to show that I do try to keep an open mind. But still, so many of these things are just murky glasses of OJ and I just dont get it.

shoreman

Reaction score
As me and many others mentioned above, the OGs like trillium and treehouse really nailed these beers, they are so well done. I did not think you can properly discount the style before you have had one of these highly refined NEIPAs. Everyone has preferences, but those should be based on a good example of the style.

If I only tried sickly sweet, under attenuated American attempts at Belgian Beers, I would not drink them. But I’ve had the duvels, saison DuPonts, westmalle, etc and Belgian Beers, specifically those three are some of my all time favorite beers.

Ogilthorpe2

The man in the black pajamas
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I love NEIPA’s. Love. But even I’m getting burned out on them. It’s a little disheartening to go into a small brewery and have 8 out of ten tap handles be IPA’s of some kind, most of which are hazy. Forget clear IPA’s, where have all the red and brown ales gone? Make Beer Red Again!

I’ve found myself drinking, and brewing just about anything but NEIPA’s for the last couple of months. Just brewed a Maibock This weekend. First time I actually planned far enough in advance to make that happen In time for a May 1 tapping. But when the weather gets warmer I’ll probably get back in the haze game.

shoreman

Reaction score
I’m in the same boat, but mostly brewing English ales and Belgian ales 😁

renstyle

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I second that... here is my current homebrew rotation:

1. Newkie Broon (newcastle clone, based on Aberdeen brown)
2. porter/dark mild/dry stout
3. ESB/Pale Ale/(WC) IPA - I don't make NEIPAs, plenty of those out and about these days
4. Bohemian/German Pilsner/Vienna Lager

The NEIPAs are currently flush at brewpub taps, so I use that to my advantage and imbibe on hazys when out and about.

For home, I always need to have some sort of brown/dark english ale on tap in the keezer. Fully 30% of the batches I've brewed were brown ales, which says alot to the state of the craft focus these days.

I don't mind tho, a dark mild or a porter you made yourself is really nice.

Many folk have already alluded to the orange juice characteristics of some hazys... Quick story:

At my mothers recently for a visit, noticed some orange juice in the back of the fridge. It was unopened, so thought nothing of it to pour a glass.

First taste I realized immediately that fermentation had been under way for some time, even in the fridge. I kid you not, to me it genuinely tasted like some of the hazys I've tried of late.

NewJersey

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I love NEIPA’s. Love. But even I’m getting burned out on them. It’s a little disheartening to go into a small brewery and have 8 out of ten tap handles be IPA’s of some kind, most of which are hazy. Forget clear IPA’s, where have all the red and brown ales gone? Make Beer Red Again!

I’ve found myself drinking, and brewing just about anything but NEIPA’s for the last couple of months. Just brewed a Maibock This weekend. First time I actually planned far enough in advance to make that happen In time for a May 1 tapping. But when the weather gets warmer I’ll probably get back in the haze game.
I was where you were like 3-4 years ago.
Eventually they all taste almost the same and you realize "juice" isn't the end all of beer.
I again grew to crave the bitterness of west coast IPAs. Not 160 IBU or anything, but 0-30 IBU NEIPAs just got extremely boring.
I've had tons of trillium, tree house, and alchemist. It's not terrible, it just gets old.

crusader1612

Reaction score

nothing beats a good brown ale (american or english i dont mind which)