Make alcohol from store's juice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pokerloict

Reaction score
Hi,

I see many people on youtube using some juice like fruitopia or any 100% juice and add yeast to make alcholic brevage. I would like to try this but most of these juice need to be refrigirated after oppening and the yeast ferment around 68-70. So how can I be sure its safe to drink after a week at room temperature?

Thank

Hi,

I see many people on youtube using some juice like fruitopia or any 100% juice and add yeast to make alcholic brevage. I would like to try this but most of these juice need to be refrigirated after oppening and the yeast ferment around 68-70. So how can I be sure its safe to drink after a week at room temperature?

Thank

🤣 they say to refrigerate it, so you don't by accident make an intoxicating beverage! ;) :mug:

All kidding aside. Fermenting juices on purpose creates conditions that at room temperatures will not make a product that is dangerous. If you inoculate your juice with a yeast and see activity (bubbles) after some short period of time (24-72 hours) the resulting liquid will be a very very poor substrate for bad bacteria, to the point that you can drink it with less fear than had you refrigerated it.

Hi,

Thank

Easy answer: They've been doing it this way for millions of years and nobody has croaked yet...LOL

Think about it...ancient civilizations like Egypt, Greece and Rome were fermenting just like you suggest...and nothing too terrible occurred then right?

Last edited:
i just mixed 1 quart of water with 1 1/4 cup of honey and 1/2 cup of strawberry jam, and a teaspoon of anise extract. added yeast as normal, as long as my airlock is bubbling and there isn't a pellicle, should the white yeast/honey/strawberry chunks settled at the bottom be sifted prior to letting it sit for 2-4 weeks or is it fine as is? Sorry new to this

i just mixed 1 quart of water with 1 1/4 cup of honey and 1/2 cup of strawberry jam, and a teaspoon of anise extract. added yeast as normal, as long as my airlock is bubbling and there isn't a pellicle, should the white yeast/honey/strawberry chunks settled at the bottom be sifted prior to letting it sit for 2-4 weeks or is it fine as is? Sorry new to this
Let it go until a couple of days after you get no bubbles through the air lock. Then cold crash it in the fridge about 3 days. It should clear and all the sediment should be at the bottom. Rack your mead off the Lees (crud on the bottom) and enjoy.

I did something similar a year ago; I used a 24 oz jar of honey, 18 oz (I think) of apricot preserves, water (probably a gallon but I don't remember), white wine yeast, and yeast nutrient. It took a while to clear but turned out very nice. I bottled it like beer, priming with sugar. I think I have one bottle left.

I did something similar a year ago; I used a 24 oz jar of honey, 18 oz (I think) of apricot preserves, water (probably a gallon but I don't remember), white wine yeast, and yeast nutrient. It took a while to clear but turned out very nice. I bottled it like beer, priming with sugar. I think I have one bottle left.
Mine was made with a little bread yeast 🥲even though it was, it has been steady bubbling for a day now and bubbles from the airlock. It's like a sweet jeager 😂

Soo I used some bread yeast because I didn't have the wine type, will it still ferment and all that? Should I take it out and do a second ferment early?

Bread yeast should be fine, but you probably need to add another quart of water.
So I have it in a quart jar right now, i strained some of the large chunks of fruit because it's good enough flavor wise, should I just split it in half and divide the current mead mixture to into two containers and add a half quart to each

This is what it looks like, should I dilute it by half

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
I just made this melomel with store brand raspberry juice blend and two pounds of honey. Bottled last week and I'm really surprised how good it is. Six months in the bottle should help. I used Red Star Premier Classique yeast. SG of 1.085. FG 0.990. 12.9%ABV

Attachments

• 20220727_190126.jpg
    20220727_190126.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
I'm new to wine making and thought I would try making a jailhouse style wine to say I tried it. I took a gallon of pure juice (4/5 Apple 1/5 pineapple), 4 cups sugar and a quarter teaspoon of EC-1118 yeast. I gave it a week and tried it. I could only manage a few sips and felt my face going red immediately. It was REALLY strong. As it was an experiment I didn't bother with an SG reading. Wish I had so I knew the alcohol content. Might be going down the sink.....

Attachments

• IMG-20220730-WA0001.jpeg
    IMG-20220730-WA0001.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Yeah, the lack of oxygen and alcohol % make it hard for many of the harmful bugs to survive.

Fruit juice wines are the gateway drug to begin doing other brews, mostly because they are pretty easy. It doesn't always make sense to make these types of wines when you can pick up really good wines made from grapes for cheap. As a result, I like to make fruit juice wines that are extremely dry, which works well as mixers. Fruit juice wines are a good way to make use of the fruit from the garden as well.

I'm new to wine making and thought I would try making a jailhouse style wine to say I tried it. I took a gallon of pure juice (4/5 Apple 1/5 pineapple), 4 cups sugar and a quarter teaspoon of EC-1118 yeast. I gave it a week and tried it. I could only manage a few sips and felt my face going red immediately. It was REALLY strong. As it was an experiment I didn't bother with an SG reading. Wish I had so I knew the alcohol content. Might be going down the sink.....
Yeah, try again, but don't add sugar.
My cider comes out at around 5.5 -6 % without anything added (except yeast obviously)

I did a little estimating based on 1.05 sg for your juice and 46 ppg for the sugar at a little less than 2#. If it goes to 1.000 you'll be about 17% abv!

I have been fermenting fruit juice for many years now with excellent results in my demi-john. You don't need to buy a fancy variety of yeast, ordinary bread yeast works fine. This doesn't mean that you result in a dirty batch or increase the risk of an infection. In fact, in all my years of fermented fruit juice (FFJ), I have never once had a single failed batch, and there is very little to learn in theory. It's about the same difficulty as brewing beer from the tins where it is almost impossible not to follow the instructions exactly. The only thing is that it can take a few days to even start the fermentation if you dry pitch the yeast. You have to let the fermentation run longer than beer, ime you need at least 1 month. Plus after you siphon off the wine/cider, you can add another gallon of fruit juice to the demi-john on top of the last sediment and it immediately starts fermenting very quickly with the batch versus continuous industrial method. I used to buy wine kits when I first started getting into homebrew, but it is relatively cheaper to buy regular juice from the grocery store than investing in a special kit. Although atm I prefer the taste of beer to wine & cider, the upshot of fermenting from store bought fruit juice is that you don't need to spend hundreds on initial capital outlay, which means just about anyone can do it. It's almost ridiculously easy to do and my cider was 100% crystal clear. I used the cider to make apple jack with once as well. The only problem with the wine is if you let the fermentation go all the way to completion, your taste buds don't have any sugar at all which is a little unpleasant. I was thinking of sugar of lead but can't set this up in my apartment where i live currently.

Last edited:
How do you use this and avoid the issue of toxicity?

well if my municipality is any indication, and you're using FAJC. add it to the tap water? give it a oh so nice sweet finish.. maybe even be able to retire and make some tiktok videos!

Back