Make a starter or not make a starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slayer021175666

Reaction score
I have some yeast that I top cropped from a batch of hef and it's been in the fridge now for about 6 weeks. It's still good but, should I just pitch it right in my wort for the next 10 gallon batch or should I make a starter today and pitch that starter tomorrow at the end of the brew? Just wondering what the benefits of making a starter might be.

How much did you harvest?
These are quart size jars and of course, the yeast is very settled in them by now. It's probably a half an inch or so deep in each but, you must consider that the bottom of the jars kind of pops in. Also, since it's been in the fridge so long, I thought there might be a benefit to making a starter because then I could taste the starter and see if anything's gone bad. I do get some lactobacillus around here.

Attachments

• 16576599298005170667097112595220.jpg
    16576599298005170667097112595220.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 0
Sounds to me that you already know the best course of action. Do it.

I just got a SNS starter going for a brew tomorrow, it'll get pitched at high krausen. Plus another half starter that'll get fermented all the way out and put in the fridge for next time.

This has become my SOP, no matter how fresh the harvested slurry. The last batch I fermented with this yeast was about 10 days ago. Pitched with the starter at high krausen, the full batch was building its own krausen within four hours*.

*500ml starter in 4 gallons @ 1.043

Last edited:
Sounds to me that you already know the best course of action. Do it.

I just got a SNS starter going for a brew tomorrow, it'll get pitched at high krausen. Plus another half starter that'll get fermented all the way out and put in the fridge for next time.

This has become my SOP, no matter how fresh the harvested slurry. The last batch I fermented with this yeast was about 10 days ago. Pitched with the starter at high krausen, the full batch was building its own krausen within four hours*.

*500ml starter in 4 gallons @ 1.043
I had never heard of the SNS method until you just mentioned it. I just now looked it up on Google and I don't really understand it. It sounds like going backwards for me. It sounds like what I used to do, before I had a stir plate. Just shake it up and every once in a while when I walked past it, I would give it a stir by hand. I also read something that said, it doesn't create more cell count. It just wakes it up so you're pitching when it's most vigorous. I'm not sure what to do. I don't know if I need more cell count or if I just need to wake it up. I've never really known how to measure yeast at home and I have overpitched and underpitched my whole life. Can you enlighten me?

I'm no expert, not at all. That said, I've found good results from the SNS method as described and popularized by Mark 'Saccharomyces' on some of the other major brewing forums. Take a look at the first two blog posts here...

https://www.experimentalbrew.com/blogs/saccharomyces
Thank you for the articles. From what I gleaned from them, I am just going back to my old way of doing things if I do that. The only thing that he is doing is using a bigger jug to create more foam and therefore more surface area. I used to have to do that anyway before I had a flask. One thing that I have thought here lately is, my yeast doesn't taste very good. It makes good beer but, when you drink it on its own, it doesn't taste very good. Almost a peroxide taste to it. I'm going to try this method tonight and see what I think of the taste of it in the morning. If it tastes better, I'm sticking with it. I may just do it anyway because, I like to simplify things and I don't think that beer should be a big time science thing. I think it should just be something that any common person can do and I've always made good results without having any science or at least very little science, to my brewing process.

for what it’s worth the Brülosophy experiment closest to your question suggests it doesn’t matter much.
https://brulosophy.com/2015/03/02/sloppy-slurry-vs-clean-starter-exbeeriment-results/
I'm sorry but, which question are you referring to that I asked? I read the thing but, if I comprehended it correctly, he was pitching right from a beer that was just done. I'm talking about having the yeast slurry sitting in the fridge for 6 weeks. Unless, of course, I'm confused. Let me know. Thank you.

I'm talking about having the yeast slurry sitting in the fridge for 6 weeks.
You're going to pitch both slurries, after decanting, right?

Although they look to be very clean slurries, since it was top cropped, it may be borderline enough (viable) cells for 10 gallons of 1.043.
http://www.brewunited.com/yeast_calculator.phpI'd estimate 200-300 billion cells in each jar, at 80% viability, being 6 weeks old and top cropped.

I'd do a quick vitality starter on a stir plate, or SNS using a gallon jug. For SNS don't use any Fermcap for the starter wort, you want to make tons of foam. Shake often and let air back in each time (or use pure oxygen).

You're going to pitch both slurries, after decanting, right?

Although they look to be very clean slurries, since it was top cropped, it may be borderline enough (viable) cells for 10 gallons of 1.043.
http://www.brewunited.com/yeast_calculator.phpI'd estimate 200-300 billion cells in each jar, at 80% viability, being 6 weeks old and top cropped.

I'd do a quick vitality starter on a stir plate, or SNS using a gallon jug. For SNS don't use any Fermcap for the starter wort, you want to make tons of foam. Shake often and let air back in each time (or use pure oxygen).

Thank you Islandlizard. You always have good advice for me. I thought it looked like enough myself and my original intent was to use them on their own. I never thought that I would end up waiting 6 weeks in between brews, though. The vitality starter as you called it, is what I was thinking of and to taste it to see if anything lacto or anything got in it. I can't find a gallon jug right now so, I'm going to use my 2 l flask with a 1 l starter and pour both jars in it after I decant them. I will pitch them tomorrow whenever the wort s ready and I think that should time them at high krausen. Yeah?

6 weeks in the fridge, stored under beer, is not that long. Hence the viability estimate being around 80%, ~10% loss per month, at worst. She likely fares much better, from my experience.

You could taste the supernatant (the beer on top of the stored yeast) as an indication of (unwanted) sourness or other indicators that she's infected or not happy. I always smell it first, burnt rubber (heavy autolysis) or worse, it gets dumped.

Your 1 liter starter ahead of time should wake her up and get her ready for the pitch. Vitality can be more important than (sheer) viability. Pitch the whole starter, don't cold crash it. You could leave a little bit behind for a next round. Or top crop some more.

6 weeks in the fridge, stored under beer, is not that long. Hence the viability estimate being around 80%, ~10% loss per month, at worst. She likely fares much better, from my experience.

You could taste the supernatant (the beer on top of the stored yeast) as an indication of (unwanted) sourness or other indicators that she's infected or not happy. I always smell it first, burnt rubber (heavy autolysis) or worse, it gets dumped.

Your 1 liter starter ahead of time should wake her up and get her ready for the pitch. Vitality can be more important than (sheer) viability. Pitch the whole starter, don't cold crash it. You could leave a little bit behind for a next round. Or top crop some more.
The only thing that you're thinking and what I have differentiates in is that, I stored it under distilled water. Not beer. Thoughts?

The only thing that you're thinking and what I have differentiates in is that, I stored it under distilled water. Not beer. Thoughts?
Oh! :D

I thought storing under (low alcohol or starter) beer was preferred (probably from the Yeast book or various websites).
Dunno much about using water instead, except it preferably should be low or free of oxygen.
Either would be inert to yeast, so yup, why not?

Oh! :D

I thought storing under (low alcohol or starter) beer was preferred (probably from the Yeast book or various websites).
Dunno much about using water instead, except it preferably should be low or free of oxygen.
Either would be inert to yeast, so yup, why not?
There is a lot of sentiment toward distilled water or RO water, here of late. I, myself, have been using it for the past year or so. The idea is that with absolutely no nutrients in the water, or medium I guess, that there will be no reproduction or really, anything except for dormancy. Well, I don't know about RO water, but distilled water is almost absolutely without extra oxygen. Of course it has its own 2 molecules but, not much beside that. All I can tell you is, since I started using distilled water as the medium, I have not had any lactobacillus infection. Tonight's example is the same. Nice yeast to have.
Understanding of course that, some Brewers are quite fond of their lactobacillus monsters!

A starter will propagate and increase cell count but it needs more than a day. It goes through the same steps each time. Five gal of wort with yeast is just a five gal starter. Shaking will work but a stir plate is better, it also draws some oxygen into the mix.

Just an anecdote...

The jar on the left is what I typically pull from the fridge, 250ml of reserved starter.

Center and right are yesterday's product. A 500ml starter for today's beer plus a 250 to go back in the fridge.

SNS, shaken just once, ~15hrs of action. Looks like plenty of propagation.

20220713_073305.jpg

what I do is take a qt or two after 10 min into the boil,chill in freezer(Ball jars) then pour on decanted slurry. In about 4 hrs it'll be foaming,in 8 at H K and at that time your wort should be pitching temps and 2 qts short of intended volume. Win,Win,Win.

There is a lot of sentiment toward distilled water or RO water, here of late. I, myself, have been using it for the past year or so. The idea is that with absolutely no nutrients in the water, or medium I guess, that there will be no reproduction or really, anything except for dormancy. Well, I don't know about RO water, but distilled water is almost absolutely without extra oxygen. Of course it has its own 2 molecules but, not much beside that. All I can tell you is, since I started using distilled water as the medium, I have not had any lactobacillus infection. Tonight's example is the same. Nice yeast to have.
Understanding of course that, some Brewers are quite fond of their lactobacillus monsters!

Is the distilled/RO storage intended for slurry in the fridge or for frozen storage with glycerin? Distilled is actually pretty caustic, pulling stuff out of your skin, no good for human hydration, etc. Does the distilled pull 'stuff' out of the yeast cells?

Is the distilled/RO storage intended for slurry in the fridge or for frozen storage with glycerin? Distilled is actually pretty caustic, pulling stuff out of your skin, no good for human hydration, etc. Does the distilled pull 'stuff' out of the yeast cells?
I don't know. I was just saying what I've read about it (low O2 and nutrients) and that it works for me. I use it in jars in the fridge.

Just an anecdote...

The jar on the left is what I typically pull from the fridge, 250ml of reserved starter.

Center and right are yesterday's product. A 500ml starter for today's beer plus a 250 to go back in the fridge.

View attachment 774771
What size batch is that for and did you use a gallon jug at all like, the SNS method states or did you just do it in the quart jar, only half full?

I do a 500ml in a 1/2 gallon jar, 250ml in a quart jar. Same 1:4 ratio as Sacc suggests with a 1L in a 1 gallon.

I'll pitch this into 4G up to maybe 1.060. North of that, I'll pitch an extra 250.

I wouldn't drink the supernatant as a beverage, but it smells and tastes fine. I pitch the whole thing.

I'm sorry but, which question are you referring to that I asked? I read the thing but, if I comprehended it correctly, he was pitching right from a beer that was just done. I'm talking about having the yeast slurry sitting in the fridge for 6 weeks. Unless, of course, I'm confused. Let me know. Thank you.
You are right. I was looking through all the exBEERiments and lost sight of your original question.

This is probably more relevant.
https://brulosophy.com/2015/04/20/yeast-pitch-rate-single-vial-vs-yeast-starter-exbeeriment-results/
And suggests based on those who accurately selected the odd beer out preferred the starter beer that you may want to make a starter, though statistical significance was not found that generally a difference could be noticeable.

And suggests based on those who accurately selected the odd beer out preferred the starter beer that you may want to make a starter, though statistical significance was not found that generally a difference could be noticeable.
Not that I have evidence, Brulosophy may get fresh yeast directly from WhiteLabs, not the typical sleeves (or packs) we buy at our LHBS, locally or online. An average age of 2-4 month after manufacturing/packaging date is typical when buying yeast from your LHBS and you never know how it's been treated during that time.

There are additional benefits to making a starter over just pitching a sleeve or pack, no matter how fresh it is.

Not that I have evidence, Brulosophy may get fresh yeast directly from WhiteLabs, not the typical sleeves (or packs) we buy at our LHBS, locally or online. An average age of 2-4 month after manufacturing/packaging date is typical when buying yeast from your LHBS and you never know how it's been treated during that time.

There are additional benefits to making a starter over just pitching a sleeve or pack, no matter how fresh it is.
True. In the exBEERiment, the beer with the yeast starter starts sooner, ferments more vigorously and quickly then the one without. In spite of Ray acknowledging that it wasn’t statistically significant, I personally think the 8 of 11 participants who pick the odd beer out and preferred the starter beer over the non-starter pitch is meaningful.

Hey, @slayer021175666, how'd your starter work out for you? What did you end up doing? If a SNS, what did you think of the supernatant? Tasty enough to pitch the whole thing?
I couldn't find a gallon jug here so, I just did a 1 l starter in my 2 l flask. I did put the stir bar in it but, I just shook it up at first and then, I turned on the stir bar every now and again when I walked by it and turned it back off. I just turned it on long enough for it to get everything back in suspension. I am going to try the SNS method at some point. Like I said, I just couldn't find any of my glass jugs. I think I have two here somewhere.
The two 5 gallon buckets are happily making bubbles, as we speak. I'm sure everything will be fine. Thank you for asking.

Just an anecdote...

View attachment 774771
What beer are you brewing, ale or lager, what's the OG, and what is the cell count in the starter vs required? It matters.

Back