make a shady hang out with hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sputnam

Reaction score
i want to grow some hops next year and I thought it would be cool to put four posts in the ground (about 6 ft tall and making a square). At that point, I would run some string between the posts (on three sides) and across the top. I'm picturing a 3 sided chicken coop...do you think it will work?

i want to grow some hops next year and I thought it would be cool to put four posts in the ground (about 6 ft tall and making a square). At that point, I would run some string between the posts (on three sides) and across the top. I'm picturing a 3 sided chicken coop...do you think it will work?

I would use wire. For shade purposes there is no need to cut the bines down each year. Each subsequent years growth will add bulk AND new lines for the bines to grow on. Eventually you will end up with a natural weaved mat that produces hops on the outer layers.

If you've ever noticed, the most voracious, productive, and healthiest hop plants are the wild ones that were just left alone to be a plant.

Back