Make a beer with cider yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

Upstate12866

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Have you ever used cider yeast for beer? If so, how did it go?

Pardon the silly question, I only have cider yeast on hand at the moment, and a friend is in town who wants to learn a bit about brewing. We are sort of improvising on a pale wheat ale. There's a winter storm here as well which is why I would like to avoid a trip to the store.

I don't mind a weird beer, I just want to avoid absolutely ruining it.

Perhaps my cider yeast (Mangrove Jack M02) would make something like a Belgian/Saison style, fermenting out drier and producing some odd esters, but maybe still be drinkable. I read somewhere that cider and wine yeasts tend to be POF+ just like belgian/saison yeasts and the two groups are pretty closely related as well? Which is why I get the thought this might be workable...

Have a fun weekend everyone :)

ebbelwoi

Reaction score
It depends on the yeast strain. Mangrove Jack yeasts are repackaged yeast from other manufacturers. If the "original" yeast is a wine/champagne yeast, it won't ferment maltotriose, and you'll have a sweet, underfermented beer. If it's a saison yeast, you'll get that. If it's an ale yeast, you'll get that.

I'd brave the weather and get some proper yeast at the store.