Major Chiller Malfunction

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewmanBeing

Reaction score
OK, so the chiller worked fine, but, my plastic siphoning device melted in the recently boiling wort. It was one of those auto siphon pumpy thingys (about $15) and I really liked it. I had to break it in half multiple times to keep drawing off the bottom of the kettle and restart the siphoning manually (orally?) multiple times as well. Nice cold wort on the other end but a major hassle of a process. Any advice or equipment to do this better next time? What do you have dipping into your hot wort that doesn't melt? Also, the hot side tubing is pretty discolored now.

Oh, to clarify, I purchased a counterflow "plate" chiller similar to this one:

2180.jpg

I obtained brass fittings for it at the local hardware store.

Get a stainless racking tube and some hi-temp silicone hose.

An alternative is to drill a hole in your kettle and add a spigot with weldless fitting and let gravity do it's job. That would be the cleanest solution.

EdWort said:
Get a stainless racking tube and some hi-temp silicone hose.

An alternative is to drill a hole in your kettle and add a spigot with weldless fitting and let gravity do it's job. That would be the cleanest solution.

I guess it's time to buy one of these:

1229.jpg

Back