Majic Chef fridge probs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wingnutj

Reaction score
I have a MC fridge that seems to do well for most of the year. then it seems to go on a defrost (warm cycle).
Does anyone know what could be going on?
Little more info on it. I got it from a past employer and they used it for clients pop and such. Was working and they had a repair man look at it and he must not have know what the heck was wron either. Next thing I knew I heard them say it was getting tosse in the trash. (I figured I could find a way to fix or find the prob) worked once I got it home for about 6 months and the thaw came. in the spring it started working again. When it stop keeping its cool I unloaded it and un plug it for a few days or until I remember to plug it back in. Seems to work but its a huge PITA

Please help. this is my brew fridge and summer is coming and I need it running soon.
Thanks in advance!

Wingnutj,
I have a small MC cheapo Home Bepot fridge. The freezer is a little compartment inside the fridge. The fridge lives outside in my barbeque hut and is not climate controlled. I have had the defrosting problem a few times. These seem to be the reasons:
* If the door didn't close good, (apparently, most people just let the door go) it would
heat up and start a defrost cycle.
* If I loaded it too heavy with warm/hot (Hill Country Texas hot) drinks, it takes forever
to overcome it and has triggered the defrost cycle.
* Finally, if the freezer section gets too crusted with ice (this seems to be a function of
how often it is opened/closed), it will defrost. This seems to happen in the winter,
also. It's almost like it senses the outside air is the same temp as the inside and it
starts.
I usually keep a pretty close eye on it. At the start of summer, I empty it and clean it out. I unplug it and let it defrost, wipe it with Clorox. Plug it in and let it cool off. Any drinks that I took out, I put in an ice chest while waiting for it to come down to temp. And last but not least, be sure to dry anything off that you out in there, especially the freezer. Since I started doing this, it has not cycled on me on it's own. I know this sounds like a lot of work, but it is really not bad. I hope this helps. Hopefully one of theses ac/fridge repair guys on the forum will jump in. Luck - Dwain

Sounds like it probably has a bad defrost sensor or burnt out heating element. When they don't defrost properly eventually the coils freeze up to the point that air can't flow through them. Then the cold air can't get blown into the fridge space. When it's unplugged for a while it defrosts and works fine until it freezes up again. If that's it then it should be a relatively cheap fix.

I have a MC fridge that seems to do well for most of the year. then it seems to go on a defrost (warm cycle).
Does anyone know what could be going on?

Just some info for your trouble shooting.
A frost free fridge has a defrost timer (small motor), heating coil and sensor.
The timer cam turns on a switch (may look like a micro switch) every few hours to power the defrost heater.
The temp sensor attached to the coils senses when the ice is melted and turns off the heater element.
The defrost timer also removes power from the compressor circuit until it rotates back to the cool position.

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

Do you happen to know what it looks like?
(may look like a micro switch)

I'm a simple minded person but knowing is hafl the battle. Heck its a fridge right.
Thanks fo rthe input guys and if there are any others out that may have the same problem and have fixed it just give me a shout please. I'm sure I'm not the only one with this type of prob.

thanks again guys waiting for it to get a little warmer out so its not to cold before I try it again... :)

Back