maintaining temps with kettle mash-tun and no RIMS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

herman2011

Reaction score
I do not want to get into the whole RIMS thing. Just too complicated for me right now (cleaning pumps and all). I have a 10-gal Polarware kettle with a false bottom that I want to use as a mash-tun. In the past I've used a cooler but it's 15 years old and seen better days and this time around I thought I'd give the kettle a try. I plan on wrapping my kettle with reflectix and making a lid I can shove down into the kettle to minimize the amount of dead air above the grain bed.

So my big question is, when the temp starts dropping a couple degrees, how do I bring the heat up to maintain my target temp? Do I just fire up the burner and stir like crazy for a while to get the heated foundation water up into the grain? Is there a trick to any of this or just trial and error until I figure it out? I want to mash-out too which of course is more of a 10+ degree increase instead of just maintaining a temp.

Thanks in advance.

Well first of all cleaning a pump is no big deal...run some hot PBW through it. You might be able to heat up your mash tun and recirculate by draining the wort into a large pitcher and pour that back on top. Just keep the heat down really low and continously recirc. I bet after you do that a few times you will buy a pump.;)

I use a converted pressure cooker to do steam infusions.

When I need to heat the mash I simply open the valve on the pressure cooker. just a few seconds here and there to maintain temps and a bit longer for mashout temps.

I have a direct fired SS mash tun (electric) that is wrapped in ~5-6 layers of reflectix. I made a "lid" out of 1" styrofoam that I covered in aluminum foil. It has strings attached to it so I can raise and lower it in the tun based on batch sized. If I do a single infusion for 1 hr (rare) I will only lose at most 2 F.

I would try making a reflectix sleeve for it and throwing a sleeping bag and a couple of blankets on it.

You will need to learn how your system works. It will take a couple batches to do that but it is very doable. First getting the reflictix wrap and top is a real help. You may hold enough heat most times that you will not need to heat. If you do, stir, stir, stir. All the heat will sit at the bottom of the mash unless you mix it up well. When I am raising temp in mash I heat a degree or two below my target and turn off the heat. In another minute or two of stiring the heat will raise that much. Then it is time to put back on the reflictix and let it sit. I check temp about every 15 minutes. Again you will have to learn your own system.

Take it from people that have tried various different ways.
A direct fire mash with a pump recirculating the liquid is the easiest way.
You get assurance that the temp is the same throughout the entire grain bed and cleaning isn't bad at all.
Like a previous poster said, mix up a batch of BBW and recirculate it. Heck, you have time during the boil to empty the spent grains and do that.

I pretty much do what badhabit described and it works great.
One note of caution on the reflectix: it is NOT flame resistant! I finally found keeping it about 2" above the bottom of the vessel and taping the bottom edge with aluminum tape kept it from melting/smoking... :cross:

skibumdc, is there an easy setup documented for doing this? part-list, etc? Sounds like maybe it's just a pump with the fittings to attach to my mash-tun's ball-valve on one end and a tube going up to the top of my mash-tun on the other? Sorry for such a newbie RIMS-related question. I've been doing cooler mash-tuns for 15 years (kind of set in my ways) so I'm kind of clueless (and looking for something simple) on recirculating.

Take it from people that have tried various different ways.
A direct fire mash with a pump recirculating the liquid is the easiest way.
You get assurance that the temp is the same throughout the entire grain bed and cleaning isn't bad at all.
Like a previous poster said, mix up a batch of BBW and recirculate it. Heck, you have time during the boil to empty the spent grains and do that.

Now I have a related question. (not too far off topic I hope) I have no pump but am seriously considering getting one. I am concerned about having trub/mash going through the pump. I have a false bottom but that only keeps the big stuff out, do I need to worry about what and how much material, malt etc., comes through the hose if I am using the false bottom harming the march pump? If so how do I keep the wort clean enough to have it not be a problem for the pump?

So my big question is, when the temp starts dropping a couple degrees, how do I bring the heat up to maintain my target temp? Do I just fire up the burner and stir like crazy for a while to get the heated foundation water up into the grain? Is there a trick to any of this or just trial and error until I figure it out? I want to mash-out too which of course is more of a 10+ degree increase instead of just maintaining a temp.

Thanks in advance.

Do you have a cooking pot nearby? You could always bring up the temperature by adding volumes of boiling water when needed if your temp drops too low.

From How to Brew:

Wa = (T2 - T1)(0.2G + Wm)/(Tw-T2)

Where:
Wa = infusion water added (quarts)
Wm = volume of mash (quarts)
T1 = Temp of mash (deg F)
T2 = Target temp of mash (deg F)
Tw = Temp of water added (deg F)
G = weight of grain (lbs)

For a 10 gallon-sized batch you would need ballpark 1.2 quarts of 210 deg F water to raise a typical brew 148 to 150.

I don't think this method would be very efficient for a mash out though. You'd need ballpark 20 quarts of boiling water to raise the temp from 150 to 170 in a 10-gallon sized batch.

Back