Maintaining primary fermentation lager temp without a fridge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopTonger

Reaction score
Hi all -
My kegerator with thermostat control is locked up with a lager, but I'm impatient and want to get another lager going so I can have a steady supply from one keg to the next. I need to keep a temp of 55F for a pilsner in primary, but my basement runs about 62F this time of year. My garage is a total crapshoot, also, with the wild swings of temps we've had in the Philly area. Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Here's a possible solution - https://www.cool-brewing.com/

It's a soft sided "ice chest" made for homebrewers. Stick a few frozen 2 ltr. bottles in the cooler, and rotate them in and out as they melt.

Best of luck!

The problem I have with that interesting product is the cost. With shipping, it cost about the same as what I have into my used fridge and STC-1000.

For the OP, wait. Pilsner is the last sort of lager you want to ferment too warm.

Thanks for the input - I did see the Brew Cool, but was a little skeptical. I believe I found a solution...brew back at my parents' house where I have a second fridge and thermostat (con...have to pack all my brew equipment and haul it). I agree...pilsners will show off flavors readily.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I intend to use my aquarium chiller by having the fermenting bucket sitting in a larger container / water bath and running the bath water through the chiller. The chiller temperature can be set and will only chill to regulate. Disadvantage? They're a bit noisy while chilling.

The things we do for beer. :mug:

I thought I'd provide an update to this string. I decided to give the Cool Brewing fermenter cooler bag a shot. I have not fermented a lager in it yet, but I have done some trials with it filling a glass carboy with liquid and also an ale I have in it right now. Here's my findings - it does create a fermentation chamber capable of lowering temps, but with a couple warnings. First, the performance can depend on ambient room temps. The FAQ details a 11deg F drop using 2 frozen 2L plastic bottles over a 24hr period. My found the temp dropped only 6-7deg F when ambient temp was 70-72deg, and this was only a carboy with liquid and not actively fermenting wort. When the ambient temp dropped to 66-68deg, I found the temp dropped closer to 10deg and this was with actively fermenting wort. The conclusion I have made is that ambient room temp needs to be in the mid 60s to have the performance as detailed - above room temp requires twice the amount of frozen 2L bottles. I feel I will use the bag for primary lager fermentation only when ambient room temp is below 66-68, preferably closer to 66deg. I will not use for primary lager fermentation above 68 ambient.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back