Maintaining and Repairing your Picnic Party Pump

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hbt-picnic-892.jpg

Why would you need to maintain a party pump you may ask? Do you want to be the reason the party stops? Do you? DO YOU? I didn't think so.
I got inspired to write this article because I couldn't find any info on repairing or maintaining picnic party pumps.
So, when your party pump starts malfunctioning via: sticking pump piston, leaking pump, beer spraying your face, or whatever, you've got to get that pump fixed and FAST!
So without further ado... repairing your picnic party pump!
Take some oxy(your brand of choice) and hot water and just scrub the outside of the whole thing to remove any old beer and party happenings.
Once that is done, you'll have to disassemble.
hbt-picnic-2-893.jpg

My Sanke "D" coupler is in good shape so with a little scrub here and there we can set it aside. You may want to inspect the rubber seals on the coupler since they can be a point of failure.
hbt-picnic-3-894.jpg

On to the main course, the pump:
Again, use Oxy and hot water to scrub everything.
hbt-picnic-4-895.jpg

I had a hell of a time unscrewing the top of this by hand. Put an elastic band around the top to help give you some traction.
hbt-picnic-5-896.jpg

As you can see I only removed the top cap. The reason why is, that the top cap is not crucial for the function of the pump. If the bottom cap (the one closest to the coupler) is solid then I figure it is a good idea not to tamper with it.
hbt-picnic-6-897.jpg

hbt-picnic-7-898.jpg

As you can see, with normal use these pumps can accumulate a decent amount of grime. I think it's a good idea to take your time with each of these little pieces to get all the old lubricant and gunk from the little cracks.
The primary thing you want to check with this pump is the rubber O-ring. If it's cracked or brittle then it will need replacing in order for your pump to work properly.
I'm sure you can find them at most LHBS but here is a link to one online.
I don't work for Keg works; I simply could not find this o ring on other sites.
(http://www.kegworks.com/o-ring-for-barrel-style-keg-pump-396-p173296?featured=&_s_icmp=KWinternalrecs )
My silicon O-ring was still flexible so it won't require replacing yet.
hbt-picnic-8-899.jpg

hbt-picnic-9-900.jpg

And without a lot of effort this thing is looking new again!
Now that all the little pieces are clean and dry we just have to lube everything and reassemble.
You want to use a food grade silicone lubricant made for keg parts. I've also read that scuba lube will work.
hbt-picnic-10-901.jpg

Go ahead and check the pumping action. So smooth.
Then pat yourself on the back because you just brought a useful piece of equipment back from the dead and saved the party.
I hate letting perfectly useful things break down. I hope this is helpful for any of you fellow brewers or drinkers out there!
John
hbt-picnic-10-901.jpg

Back