Maintaining a Constant Fermentation Temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brett3rThanU

Reaction score
I live in Houston, which unfortunately is NOT good weather for brewing. It's January and one day it's 80 degrees outside and the next it's 40 degrees! I just racked my first batch of beer into my secondary 2 days ago and over the last 2 days the temp has climbed to 76 degrees. The temp has gone back down to ~70, but I fear I may have ruined my first batch during the course of those 2 warmer days.

My question is, how do you guys maintain a constant fermentation temp? I've done some research and I'm interested in purchasing a Sanyo 4912 mini-fridge with an external thermostat to maintain a good fermentation temp. Is this the best way? I can't imagine everyone uses a fridge, so how do you keep a constant temp?

I can see how that kind of weather would be an issue where you wouldnt want to run the AC or heat. Damn, i have to think about this problem. I will run into it eventually when it gets warmer out. Right now, the temp out side is usually under 60 so i keep my thermostat on 65 and my apartment does at great job at keeping it at 65. I guess i will need to figure out something when spring comes and i want to open windows.

Unfortunately all my air vents are on the ceiling, so instead I put my car boy in a few inches of water with a t-shirt over it. The temp will hopefully stay somewhat constant now.

Brett3rThanU said:
Unfortunately all my air vents are on the ceiling, so instead I put my car boy in a few inches of water with a t-shirt over it. The temp will hopefully stay somewhat constant now.

I do a similar method, it cools it down below ambient while buffering any temp changes.

Brett3rThanU said:
How often do you change the water?
You can add starsan or bleach to keep nasties from growing in the water. You can also use nontoxic RV antifreeze, which is more expensive, but can be reused and will not support any funky growth.

Back