Main Panel vs Spa Panel Brand/Compatibility

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mphills

Reaction score
I was hoping for this to be a relatively straightforward question, but I haven't found an easy answer after many combinations of online searches. Any help would be appreciated!

I have an extra 240V outlet in my garage which will power my electric brewing system at 30A. The home's main electrical panel is GE branded. I recently bought a used 50A spa panel (Square D) that was configured by its previous owner. The spa panel will be plugged into that unused 240V receptacle, and my controller will be plugged into the spa panel. The spa panel will provide the GFCI protection for my brew system.

I'm hoping for feedback about the compatibility of the two. I know that any new breakers in my main panel should always match the brand of the panel itself to ensure compatibility, but does that logic extend to the spa panel as well? Since I'll be keeping my GE main panel, am I creating a hazard by using the Square D spa panel breaker downstream? Or is the compatibility of the GE main panel and Square D spa panel breaker not a factor since the Square D breaker is not inserted directly into the main panel?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Not a factor. Brand doesn't matter if it is a separate panel as you describe. They are all designed to work the same way.

Personally, I would use the same type across the board, in case I ever had a reason to move a breaker from one panel to another. I can't really think of a reason why I would need to do that though. Since you already have the spa panel, go ahead with it.

As always, be careful, because electricity can kill you.

Contrary to popular belief, you can mix different brand breakers in different brand panels. As listed in this compatibility list.

But no issue in your case since they are different panels.

Attachments

• eaton_panelboard_compatibility_list.pdf
    951.6 KB · Views: 35
Back