Main Gas Pipe to gas valve fitting?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petrostar

Reaction score
I have three Gas valves with Propane conversion kits on them. I also have the 1/2" hard gas pipe I will be running with my Brutus build. My question is, the Propane burners that I have all have 1/4" male threads on them that are of a FINE threading. The outlet of the propane gas valve is a 1/2" female. Where do I find what I am looking for? LOL, what am I looking for? Thanks ahead of time, if you need a picture of what I'm talking about let me know. its a burner off of a bayou classic not a banjo.

I just did the same thing. I used 3/8" copper tubing with a 1/4" flare fitting on both ends. On the gas valve side I used a 1/4" flare x 1/2" male pipe adapter.

Hope this helps.

Fine thread brass fittings doesn't sound right.
Here are photos of the different components:
P1040278.jpg

P1040284.jpg

Hosewithburners.jpg

HosewithValve.jpg

Which burners are you using? Which valves?

The valves are brand new with 1/2" female ins/outs. The hose going into the burner looks just like the one to the right with the threaded brass nipple. I actually have two regulator hoses. Each of the hoses has the propane burner orifice on it that screws into the burner. The opposite end of that hose, I want to have go into the OUT gas valves. I took the regulator off of that end and am left with a Brass Male Thread, not female. Basically this is what I want my setup to do...

Propane tank - On/Off gas petcock - Propane Regulator - 1/2" gas main line - 2 Taps off main hardpiped into Gas valves IN - 1/2" Male Nipple OUT to Burners IN orifice.

The Nipple out to burners in is the connection I'm talking about, I see you have a 1/2" brass valve with a reducer on it. Where did you get the 2-female ended propane line and where did you get valve. I'll just have to return one of these burner regulators. I will adjust my burner pressures via the primary regulator and at the gas valves with a manometer.

I see I only needed to look for the hoses on your online store but what about those valves?

The yellow flex hose that you can get for appliances at Lowe's or Home Depot comes with 3/8" Flare to 1/2"MIP fittings on each end. It's also rated for less than 2psi. I used the one with the built in safety valve coming out of the Honeywell valves and used a 3/8" Flare to 1/4 FIP to connect to the burner.

Here's the valve connection:

IMG_1796.jpg

and this is the connection going to the burner:

IMG_1801.jpg

Ok, I am still confused. Here is the connection that I have to go into my BG12 burners. The regulator hoses come with this burner orifice on them. I will be regulating the pressure twice, once at the propane tank via a regulator and the second time at the gas valve. I just want one fitting coming from my gas valve into the burner but cant figure out how to do that because of that tip on my hose. Do I have to use that tip or can I just go get one of the ones like you have shown screwed into your burner.

Is the piece you took out of the regulator a flare fitting or standard pipe thread? Either way, you'd need a 1/2" MIP reduced to whatever size your fitting is coming out of your gas valve. I think that's what you're asking??

As far as your other* fitting goes, if you're going to use that hose, then it looks like you're stuck with that fitting as it's crimped onto your hose.

Looking at the end of that regulator hose, there's clearly two separate brass pieces there, one that's crimped to the hose, and the other that's screwed into it...

Cheers!

One hoppy guy posted a picture of a brass fitting that is screwed directly into the burner. Can I just get one of those and say screw the hose setup I have?

Done and DONE, Thank you guys all so much. Who would have thought it would be so complicated for me to figure this **** out...

So I'm at home Depot and I'm lost, yet again. How the hell do it regulate the pressure coming from the tank into the 1/2" pipe. Also, how is that connection made. Every propane regulator I see has a tiny 1/8 threaded end on it. I see no reducers that work! Help!

Our local Home Depot stores do not carry adjustable regulators. All the regulators we have used have a 1/4" FPT in and a 3/8" FPT out. Hose end is either 1/4" NPT or 3/8" Female Flare.

The only regulators that have I have seen with a 1/8" NPT hose end were an orifice designed for a single burner. This is not to say they don't exist.

Our local Home Depot stores do not carry adjustable regulators. All the regulators we have used have a 1/4" FPT in and a 3/8" FPT out. Hose end is either 1/4" NPT or 3/8" Female Flare.

The only regulators that have I have seen with a 1/8" NPT hose end were an orifice designed for a single burner. This is not to say they don't exist.

Yea, I found all the connections that I needed except how to connect the propane tank to the 1/2" gas pipe. With the stands that you build, do you just use the 3/8" Female flare connected to the 1/2" main pipe via an adapter? If you are just connecting the 1/2" straight to the gas valves, how are you regulating the pressure to the burner? Are you just using the 'out" pressure adjustment screw on the valve, is that sufficient? Apologize for all of the questions but I will pay this info forward someday.

I had to buy the part that screws onto the tank which is pictured in your picture on post #9 (the green part) then a low pressure regulator since I'm using Honeywell valves. From the regulator I bought a propane specific extension hose that had the 3/8's MIP on one end and 3/8's FIP on the other end. To attach that to the 1/2" pipe I had to get a 3/8 to 3/8 hex nipple into a 1/2" FIP to 3/8" FIP reducer. Picture here:

IMG_1798.jpg

There is a standard gas appliance fitting we use for connecting from the regulator hose to the manifold pipe. There is a female version also.

I'm just glad I can help sometimes... it's Friday yay! time for a beer... :mug:

Thought I was done with this thread but I am not. I hooked up my setup and set my 24v gas valves to 11" WC. I then was under the assumption that I just needed to drill the end out of my hp orifice. I started on such a small bit and went up one size higher. I am still not even at 3/32" but all I get is a yellow flame no matter what the shutter is at. I am about to just get some LP jet burners but don't really have the money. I bought the threaded burner orifices that you showed me and could go buy some yellow gas flex with 3/8" ends on it. Will it make a difference? What has been your experience? I have a manometer so I can regulate the pressure going into the gas valves. Its just so strange, I am bearly opening that regulator up until I am at about .5 psi or 13" wc. I know a couple of you guys have dealt with this and would appreciate your help. A bottle of my beer might make its way to you some day! LOL.

I got impatient and just ordered 2 - 6" 10 tip jet burners from bayou classic. They were $28 each and are designed for low pressure LP gas. I will post pics when they are installed and running.

I the picture above it looks like you have the LP orifice screwed into the rgulator wth a couple additional fittings. Is that correct?

Yes it was the only way I could get the fitting to match the 3/8" female flare of the yellow gas line. With the fittings I used, there is no restrictions on the ID of the brass pipe. I'm able to consistently pull 11" Wc to the 24v inlet even after the valve opens. I have adjusted the output screw also along with changing the spring inside the valve to work with low pressure propane. The regulator is 0-10 psi so I am barely able to crank it open. I think I am going to just buy a standard 11" wc regulator for the main propane line. I don't believe I will need to adjust the pressure from reading a few other posts.

The orifice that I used that screwed directly into the burner was the factory line, (stainless line) It had a crimped on high pressure orifice made for those burners. I just drilled the tip of it out. Started very small, only increased 2x. The above picture on the left is just the end that threads into the gas valve, not the burner. I have 2 of the 3/8" MIP flare x 1/4" MIP that thread into the burners but decided to use the stainless line because it looked so much better. That and I already had 2 of them.

The orifice that you drilled out should be threaded directly into the burner not the gas line. By the time makes it through the line the gas gas accumalted in a higher volume creating the orange flame. Here is a picture of mine, which is very similar to yours. I get a blue flame with orange tips that is about 5" tall. The air shutter is open all the way up.

IMAG0252.jpg
IMAG0249.jpg

The orifice that I drilled out is threaded directly into the burner like shown in your second photo. The stock orifices that came with these buners do not look like the orifice you are using. They are crimped onto the stainless lines. I only drilled out one orifice and it is the one that enters the burner at the bell.

Maybe I missed something. Are you using the stock orifice and a second orifice on the other end of the gas line by the requlator?

Normally you use a threaded separate orifice fitting that threads into the bell of the burner. It usually has a 3/8" MIP flare on the other end. The orifice that I used is crimped onto the gas line.

Back