Maibock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marc06

Reaction score
All,

With recently moving to North Carolina from Florida, I'm stoked about a couple of cold months were I will not have to struggle to get to pitching temps. Naturally, I want to get as many lagers done as possible. One beer I want to do in Jan/Feb is a Maibock. I plan on using the grain % from Can You Brew It for Rogue's Dead Guy, since it is based of a Maibock. Also, I want to compare my Dead Guy clone to an actual Maibock. My long-winded question is, would WLP830, german lager, be appropriate for a Maibock? I already have it washed and am planning on brewing my munich dunkel, so I will already have a yeast cake.

Thoughts are appreciated.

Well, it won't give you a beer too much like Dead Guy Ale from what I can see - I believe that is fermented with Pacman. But the 830 seems to be able to cover a diversity of lager styles pretty well, including maibock; it does finish a bit dry though, unlike dedicated 'bock' strains. IF that concerns you, you could always mash a little high, knock down the attenuation slightly. But it seems to me that that would work perfectly fine. And if you have a working yeast cake already, I certainly wouldn't turn it down.

From the White Labs description: This yeast is one of the most widely used lager yeasts in the world. Very malty and clean, great for all German lagers, Pilsner, Oktoberfest, and Marzen.

I'm not going for a Dead Guy anything; I was just going to use the grain bill for simplicity. It's really the only lager strain I've used so, unlike ale yeasts, I am unfamiliar how it would compare to the bock strain.

Back