Magnum Hop Substitute

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rockweezy

Reaction score
I wanted to make this SNPA clone but cannot get a hold of Magnum hops. What would be a substitution?

Kettle Volume: 12 gal (S.G.: 1.045)
Boil Duration: 1.18 hr
Evaporation: 1.8 gal
Water Volume Added: 0.45 gal
Final Volume: 10.24 gal (S.G.: 1.053)
Efficiency: 72.0%
Attenuation: 75.0%
Evap/Hour: 1.53 gal
Ingredients:
21.11 lb American 2-row
1.1 lb Crystal Malt 60°L
0.84 oz Magnum (14.5%) - added during boil, boiled 60 min
0.84 oz Perle (8.2%) - added during boil, boiled 30 min
1.67 oz Cascade (5.5%) - added during boil, boiled 10 min
1.67 oz Cascade (5.5%) - added during boil, boiled 0.0 min 1.67 ea Fermentis US-05 Safale US-05

Nugget or Galena would be okay.

Edit: BYO suggests Northern Brewer.

Newport is good - keep in mind you are using it for bitter so you have a wider range of things to use.

I went with Northern Brewer and up the ounces to give me the right IBU's. Brewing tomorrow so we'll see in couple of weeks how it turns out. Can't get the warrior either. I really have to pick my recipes carefully. Thank everyone.

Probably too late but Horizon will also be a good substitute, as it is also neutral for bittering.

I went with Northern Brewer and up the ounces to give me the right IBU's. Brewing tomorrow so we'll see in couple of weeks how it turns out. Can't get the warrior either. I really have to pick my recipes carefully. Thank everyone.

Do you recall how well using the nothrn brewers hops for magnum hops in you Sierra Nevada pale ale clone went?

Back