Magnum and/or Columbus hops in lagers for flavoring and aroma additions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silver_Is_Money

Larry Sayre, Developer of 'Mash Made Easy'
Reaction score
The profiles for these two hops indicate a broad range of flavors/aromas similar to the types found in lagers. Has anyone attempted using these hops for Pilsners or other light colored lagers in the place of the more traditional noble type hops, and if so, how did things turn out?

i'm always looking for ways to cut costs, and these would be added in small quantities for the various lager additions.

Are there any other high alpha acid hops you have found can be used for lagers, and not just for bittering?

Columbus is pretty unique and perhaps an acquired taste. I really like it in wheat beers, but not sure how it would play in a crisp lager. I'd try it though, why not?

The difference is intensity. Magnum is like a silk glove and Columbus is like a sledge hammer. I have never used Columbus in a lager but my thinking is a light enough hand doesn't exist unless entering into India lager territory

Magnum is a typical lager hop already.

Definitely, Columbus bittering can be harsh. Late addition, it adds a really interesting aroma though. I should have clarified that.

Well Magnum won't do much for flavoring or aroma but it won't hurt.

i went ahead and did it. Presently fermenting an amber ale (~15 SRM) that has a mix of both Magnum and Sterling hops for both the flavoring and aroma additions (at roughly equal AA's between them). Straight Magnum was used for the bittering addition.

Latest posts

Back