Magnum and Glacier Pale Ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stblindtiger

Reaction score
I have a bunch of left over hops and I was thinking about putting some in a pale ale.

Have any of you ever used the combination of Magnum as a bittering hop, and Glacier as an aroma hop in a pale ale before?

I was also thinking about dry hopping it with some home grown Columbus from last year, and maybe even some Santiam?

I have a bunch of old (year or two... kept frozen in sealed bags) hops leftover! I also have Citra, Columbus, Centenial, Cascade, Fuggles, Goldings, Chinook, Amarillo... The Magnum and Glacier are the oldest though, and I need to get some use out of them while I still can!

Thanks!

Yeah that will be a good beer i would throw some centenial in at 20 min to round it out a little bit

LOL... well now it is more of an IPA, but I will use up just about all the older hops I have. That's the reason for the .25 oz Centennial addition at the same time as the 2 oz Glacier addition.... just trying to use up the hops I have on hand at the moment.

What do you think? Here is the full recipe, based off of Jamil's Pale Ale recipe (same grains, just changed the hop schedule, and added some demera sugar to up the ABV a bit):

Ingredients
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
11 lbs 4.8 oz Pale Malt, 2 row (Gambrinus) (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 79.0 %
12.0 oz Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 2 5.2 %
12.0 oz Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 3 5.2 %
8.0 oz Wheat Malt (Gambrinus) (2.3 SRM) Grain 4 3.5 %
1 lbs Dememera Sugar (2.0 SRM) Sugar 5 7.0 %
1.25 oz Magnum [12.40 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 6 37.8 IBUs
2.00 oz Glacier [5.60 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 7 9.9 IBUs
0.25 oz Centennial [9.10 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 8 2.2 IBUs
2.00 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 9 0.0 IBUs
2.00 oz Glacier [5.60 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 10 0.0 IBUs

Mashing at 152 F.

I honestly think people make the act of mixing hops much more difficult than it needs to be.

Unless you're mixing something like Hallertau Hersbrucker, Saaz, and Citra for an American IPA, then it's really not an issue. Common sense is all it takes. For hop-forward American pale ales, stick with American Pacific Northwest hops and you'll generally brew a tasty beer. What's much more important is the recipe as a whole, the amounts/times, and the process.

I find Glacier to be very boring and not good for aroma. Maybe it's just me though.

I like it, but would take out the columbus it doesnt belong in the recipe

Itll be good, but the glacier will be out shined i imagine. Cheers!

The Columbus were 1st year homegrown hops from last year. It was just way past the time to use them! The Galaxy hops were not first year hops, but they were still from 2010!

They were all properly sealed and stored, but I couldn't put off using them any longer!

Thanks again, and I'll update the thread once it is carbed and ready...

Back