Magnum Ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeRoux's Broux

Reaction score
i want to brew an American pale ale, but hop the keeeee-rap out of it w/ Magnum hops. use 'em for bittering, flavoring, finishing, and dry hopping. any ideas, suggestions from you hop heads out there? :drunk:

okay, after doing some research, i need to only use it for bittering/flavoring. maybe follow w/ cascade for finish/dry hop?
i'm not used to making my own recipe 100%. i normaly piece them together, so how does this look:

10 lbs domestic 2-row
.5 lb Carapils
.75 lb Crystal 60
.5 lb Crystal 90
.5 lb Wheat Malt
1 oz Magnum @ 75 min
.5 oz Magnum @ 15
.5 oz Cascade @ 0
1 oz Cascade dry hop
1 tsp Irish Moss @ 15 min
White Labs WLP001 Chico Yeast (nice 1300 ml starter)

:confused:

maybe 1.5 ounces at 60 mins, 1.5 ounces at 45, one ounce at 30, 2 ounces cascade at 15 and another ounce at 5 then maybe dry hop with 2 or 3 ounces of whole cascade?? sounds good to me!!!

justbrewit said:
maybe 1.5 ounces at 60 mins, 1.5 ounces at 45, one ounce at 30, 2 ounces cascade at 15 and another ounce at 5 then maybe dry hop with 2 or 3 ounces of whole cascade?? sounds good to me!!!
ah yes! i'll play w/ that on ProMash :D

you might even want to try some thing like warrior hops as well, they have loads of AAU's maybe add 1 ounce of warrior and magnum at each addition at 60, 45 and 30 mins

hhhmmm, more good ideas....
my brother just got back from Germany yesterday. Ludwigshafen, Mannheim, Neustdadt, Hassloch. he works for BASF (big facility in Ludwigshafen).

i'm a huge hop head, the first one i did here had 4 ounces of centennial in it, and 9.3 lbs of Golden LME and let me tell you, almost reminded me of a barley wine, i'd have to say right in between a strong IPA and a barley wine. best beer yet!!

i just plugged that hop schedule into pro mash and came up with over 230 IBU's. i'm not sure what your using for fermentables but i put in 7lbs of DME, 1 pound of caramel malt, 1 pound of crystal 10L and .5 pounds of biscuit. starting to sound good as heck to me!!!

i've got 80.7 IBU's, but i didn't do the centennial and warrior. just added more magnum and cascade.

wonder why ours are so much different. last magnums i got were 14.4

i've got 226 IBU's are you doing it for a 5 gallons batch?? what grains did you plug in??

wierd, i'm still above 200. oh well!!

i put in 1.5 oz at 60, 1.5oz at 45, 1oz at 30, 2 oz cascade at 15 and 1 oz cascade at 5 mins. and still come up with 212

hang on, i haven't done all that. plug this in:
1 oz @ 75 Magnum
1 oz @ 15 Magnum
.5 oz Cascade @ 5
.5 oz Cascade @ 0
2 oz Cascade dry hop
81.8 IBU's

ok, i'm alot closer now, i'm at 80.0 thats where we were different. i think i'm going to keep mine the way it is though!! LOL callin it chop my tongue off ale. think the grains need any thing else??

don't think so. the SRM is about right, the OG is about right. i changed the dry, from 2 oz cascade to 1 oz cascade, 1 oz columbus. add some more aroma.
you wanna do a compare batch? it'll have to be a few weeks. i'm brewing my Wee heavy tomorrow, and my two taps are almost 100% right now. but i'll make it my next batch.

chop your tongue of ale is about right!!! LOL! :drunk:
you probably wouldn't have to chop it off. it would fall off :D

i'm not going to be able to brew again for about 4 months or so. i'm leaving germany in feb, i have one batch to bottle and drink, about half a batch still to drink, then its going to take the army about a month and a half to get my stuff to me once i'm back in the states. so i might be up and running again around april or may. but i will brew this for sure. let me know how yours turns out. i'm going to be in cali so i'll be about a days drive or so from you in texas, we'll try and get together and swap a few bottles! i have my next 5 or 6 batches already planned out!! lol first batch is gonna be a maple porter, then i'll brew this one. after that i'm jumping feet first into some barley wines and some pretty heavy ales.

yeah, i've been in for almost 10 years and its time to run my own life, this enlistment is up soon so i'm just ending my time in service. i actually get out in april but i'm taking 50 days terminal leave so i'll get paid for 50 more days while looking for a job.

this is one of the other heavy ales that i'm planning on making and it uses the magnum hops.

Specialty Grains
0.75 lbs. Dingemans Caramel Pils
0.25 lbs. Briess Caramel 120

Fermentables
12 lbs. Pale Malt Syrup

Boil Additions
1 oz. Yakima Magnum (60 min)
1 oz. Liberty (30 min)
1 oz. Yakima Magnum (10 min)
2 oz. Northern Brewer (Leaf) (0 min)

Special Ingredients
1 oz. Cascade Hops (dry hop)

Yeast
Wyeast #1332 Northwest Ale Yeast. One of the classic ale strains from the Northwest U.S. Breweries. Produces a malty and mildly fruity ale with good depth and complexity. Flocculation: high. Apparent attenuation: 67-71%. Optimum temperature: 65-75.

its a kit, but it sounds so dang good! the SG is 1.090

it does sound good. so does that yeast. i normaly use White Labs, and used my first Wyeast today (poped a hole once it swelled so damn much!). probably be a better strain for the Magnum ale?

i actually used this strain and thier irish ale yeast in another batch and i've got to say, it was mighty tasty!! i used 2 yeasts because i punched the irish ales yeast the day before brewing and i brew day found that the other one had been punched too. no starter that day, 2 yeast packs. i'm thinking about doing this alot more often and harvesting the yeast off each batch that has 2 types of yeast. if you can swing it, i'd use them both. here's the mark up on the other one.

Wyeast #1084 Irish Ale Yeast. Slight residual diacetyl and fruitiness; great for stouts. Clean, smooth, soft and full-bodied. Flocculation: medium. Apparent attenuation: 71-75%. Optimum temperature: 62-72.

our brewing is only limited by our imagination and i used it on that batch. i harvested that same yeast out of 4 bottles of homebrew and used that for my 5 bite bitter christmas ale thats in the primary now. i'll let you know how that one turns out. i used magnums in that one as well, plus 4 other types of hops.

they make beers that don't have enough hops in them!!! lol i'm a huge hop head, my fav beer is SN big foot. i used to drink 2 32oz mugs of that barley wine in a sitting, i just can't get enough hops i'm tellin ya!!! these are the hops i used in the 5 bite.

1 oz of Yakima Magnum hops aau 14.4%(60 mins)
1 oz Northern Brewer (Leaf) aau 9%(45 mins)
1/2 oz centennial hops aau 8.5%(30mins)
1/2 oz Cascade hops aau 5.7%(15 mins)
1/2 oz liberty hops aau 3.6%(5 mins)

I love using Magnum hops. I made up this one, and when I racked it to the secondary it tasted like grapefruits. I drank this keg in record time.

Pacific Magnum Ale:

11 lbs. Maris Otter Pale
1.5 lbs. Crystal Malt 20°L
1 lbs. Barley Flaked
1 oz. Yakima Magnum - 60 min.
1 oz. Cascade - 20 min.
1 oz. Yakima Magnum - 20 min.
1 oz. Cascade - 1 min.
1 oz. Yakima Magnum - 1 min.
.5 oz. Cascade - dry hop.
.5 oz. Yakima Magnum - dry hop.
White Labs WLP041 Pacific Ale Yeast

O G 1.068
T G 1.014
Color: 15.83 °SRM
Bitterness: 82.3 IBU
Alcohol: (%volume) 7.2 %

One thing to keep in mind is that if you use a blow off a lot of your aroma is out the tube.

I had to add another oz of Columbus to my ipa to bring up the aroma. (even though it has high aau's it also has a very high oil level). I boil about 2cups of water, then throw in the hops and make a tea then dump it in the secondary. I figure the hot water will disolve the aromatic/flavor oils somewhat, giving a kickstart to the dry hopping. (I'm using pellets.)

My pale was a borderline IPA according to promash, but it seems lacking in hop flavor/aroma, even though I added a fair amount of hops in the last 2 minutes. It blew out fairly fierce.

On another note, I'm wondering also if my settings are right for promash since my Pale should have been 56 IBU's, yet doesn't seem all that bitter. I used tettang, saaz, and haller in large quantities.

[Edit: oops, I meant 47 IBU and to me a IPA has to be 60+ :D This beer feels more like about a 25-30 IBU]

0.88 oz. Czech Saaz Pellet 3.50 11.8 60 min.
0.88 oz. Hallertauer Pellet 4.00 13.5 60 min.
0.88 oz. Tettnanger Pellet 4.50 15.2 60 min.
0.35 oz. Czech Saaz Pellet 3.50 0.9 10 min.
0.35 oz. Hallertauer Pellet 4.00 1.1 10 min.
0.53 oz. Tettnanger Pellet 4.50 1.8 10 min.
0.35 oz. Czech Saaz Pellet 3.50 0.8 2 min.
0.35 oz. Hallertauer Pellet 4.00 0.9 2 min.
0.35 oz. Tettnanger Pellet 4.50 1.0 2 min.

both look good. i don't use a blow-off tube, but i still may need to add a little extra for the aroma.
i may add in another finishing/dry hop for more complexity too....

You could perhaps shift a bit of your 75m addition and a bit of your 15m addition to somewhere around the 30-45m mark since you don't have anything in your hop profile in that area, but it actually looks good the way it is to me. I had hop additions at 60/30/0 for an APA I did and I didn't really get the hop flavor I was looking for, so I'm thinking either 60/30/15/0 or just 60/15/0.

Opps...left out the details on mine...

O G 1.068
T G 1.014
Color: 15.83 °SRM
Bitterness: 82.3 IBU
Alcohol: (%volume) 7.2 %

BeeGee said:
You could perhaps shift a bit of your 75m addition and a bit of your 15m addition to somewhere around the 30-45m mark since you don't have anything in your hop profile in that area, but it actually looks good the way it is to me. I had hop additions at 60/30/0 for an APA I did and I didn't really get the hop flavor I was looking for, so I'm thinking either 60/30/15/0 or just 60/15/0.

I've never really seen the reason behind a 45 or 30 min addition. It's not long enough to truly isomerize the alpha oils, and its so long that all the flavor and aroma boils off. Or am I delusional ? :)

Denny's Brew said:
I've never really seen the reason behind a 45 or 30 min addition. It's not long enough to truly isomerize the alpha oils, and its so long that all the flavor and aroma boils off. Or am I delusional ? :)
I don't know! My assumption is that boiling is required to extract all of the alpha acids and isomerize them, with more boiling doing a better job (or more complete). The flavor/aromatic oils are boiled off, but how long does that take? From my experience they don't flash out of the pot as addition inside of 15 minutes definitely affect hop flavor/aroma. Perhaps 45 minutes doesn't make as much sense, but I would think 30 minutes would be somewhere on the line between the points where maximum acids are isomerized vs. maximum oils extracted and remaining. If no oils are remaining after 15 minutes, then I can see any point in the many recipes that call for 30 minute additions...the same result could be achieved by adding hops at 60 minutes, just correspondingly less.

okay, i think i've finished jack'n w/ my Magnum Ale:

10 lbs. domestic 2-row
.75 lb. American Crystal 90
0.5 lb. American Crystal 60
.5 lb. Brown Sugar (last 15 min of boil)
.5 lb Carpils
1 oz American Chocolate Malt
.75 oz Magnum Hops @ 75
.75 oz Magnum Hops @ 30
.75 oz Amarillo Gold Hops @ 15
.75 oz Columbus Hops @ 0
1 oz Amarillo Gold Hops dry hop in secondary
1 oz Columbus Hops dry hop in secondary
1300 ml starter of WLP001 Cali ale or WLP051 Cali V ale yeast
90 min boil, SG 1.061, SRM 13.8, IBU's 78.6

Back