Magic Hat Howl - What Flavors am I tasting?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HerotBrewer

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I'm getting into homebrewing with a few brews under my belt. I enjoy a wide range of beer, both in style and brewery. I am not knowledgeable enough yet to identify the different flavors that make up a beer yet. Before anyone asks I don't drink BMC, and like quite a few darker/heavier beers.

I just picked up a bottle of Magic Hat Howl at the local grocery store. They do a pick your own six pack thing. Usually it's just different Michelob products, Shock Top, etc. But once in a while the grocery manager throws different craft/micro brews onto the shelves for the hell of it.

So the Howl... honestly it's the first beer I've ever poured down the drain. I just couldn't drink it. Could someone who knows this beer identify for me what the predominant flavors are? What is it that I'm not liking? So I can stay away from it.

Nothing in this post should be construed as an insult to anyone who likes Howl. :)

I had a bottle of this at the bar last weekend. I had a few Southern Tier IPAs beforehand and was a little tipsy but I didn't think it was bad at all. It was pretty roasty and being a lager, it had a thinner body than you would expect with a beer that color. All in all, I thought it was good. Better than what I expected from Magic Hat anyways. I can't see what you wouldn't like about it, seeing as you like darker beers.

Latest posts

Back