Magic Chef MCBR360S for kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MGBeer

Reaction score
Has anybody converted one of these for use with 5 gallon cornies????

Thanks!

I too am looking at the MCBR360S for a kegerator conversion. Anyone have any luck on this one?

I got one of these as a present a few years ago and have been using it in the garage just for bottles and stuff.

I was defrosting it the other day and realized that if it weren't for the freezer tray, a corny would slide right in (it also takes some door mods). There are coolant channels in the freezer tray, though, so you can't just cut it out of the way. If you unscrew the left half and (carefully!) bend the tray so that it's vertical along the side of the fridge, a keg slides right into the left side and a CO2 tank on the back shelf over the compressor.

You'll also need to either remove the interior door (maybe 20 machine screws and reattach the gasket, or else just cut away the part that interferes with closing.

I just did this last night, and haven't turned it on yet. Assuming I didn't kink or crimp or otherwise mangle the coolant channels, it should work fine. If I did, I guess I just ruined a perfectly good fridge. I'll let you know in the next day or two when I try to plug it in.

I only did it because the fridge was free. If you're shopping, you're probably better off getting a different fridge that fits a keg a little easier.

I was about to purchase this fridge on CL for CHEAP ($60 American). Wondering if anyone has had success converting it, and will it hold 2 5-gal cornies if the CO2 tank is placed on the outside? I have the Go-ahead from the SWMBO. Bump! Thanks for any help!

Lots of people have bent/cracked coolant lines trying to do this kind of thing... and I would not recommend it. That would be a waste of 60 bucks =/

Here are some pic's of what I did with my 3.6cf Magic Chef

Put a 2x12 cuff around the front
Kegerator_side.jpg

Put temp probe and fan wiring through empty back of the unit. Will be doing the same with CO2 lines soon. For now 5# tank sits on shelf in back.
Keggerator_Build_006.jpg

You see two in here now, it holds three and the third gets a picnic tap.
Keggerator_Build_007.jpg

All set and ready to drink
Keggerator_done_001.jpg

So, yes you can make your MC 3.6cf fridge into a very servicable kegerator.

Pretty sweet man!

Do you think its possible to make a custom piece for the door to fit a full size 1/2 barrel keg and CO2 in there?

Pretty sweet man!

Do you think its possible to make a custom piece for the door to fit a full size 1/2 barrel keg and CO2 in there?
Don't know. Measure the diameter of the keg and inside width of the fridge.

but how long does it take for your keg to get to temp???
Honestly, don't really care with three on tap at one time. Unless all three run out at one time, I have tasty beer on tap. Also takes a while to carb, so the time it takes to get down to serving temp isn't an issue for me.

Thats awesome, i've got the same fridge and was wondering what to do to fit the 2 kegs in it. Did you remove the freezer section, or did you just leave it alone?

Here are some pic's of what I did with my 3.6cf Magic Chef

Put a 2x12 cuff around the front
Kegerator_side.jpg

Put temp probe and fan wiring through empty back of the unit. Will be doing the same with CO2 lines soon. For now 5# tank sits on shelf in back.
Keggerator_Build_006.jpg

You see two in here now, it holds three and the third gets a picnic tap.
Keggerator_Build_007.jpg

All set and ready to drink
Keggerator_done_001.jpg

So, yes you can make your MC 3.6cf fridge into a very servicable kegerator.

I'm also curious how the temperature is affected. I've seen people do this when converting freezers to Kegerators, but since the temperature is much lower in a freezer, I assume it wouldn't be an issue.

I'm considering doing this same process, but made to fit a full sized keg, needless to say, I have many questions:

How are you controlling the temperature? Have you had any trouble with this? Any problems with too much carbonation?

Did you line the wooden collar with anything (on the inside)? Caulk the corners or anything?

What did you do on the outside? Did you just paint the wood?

How did you attach the collar to the fridge?

Anything else I should know?

Thanks!

I am also about to tackle this same project, for the freezer compartment, did you have to cut one side to free it from the side of the fridge before you can bend it down? I was too wondering how you attached the wood to the fridge?

Thanks

I'm also curious how the temperature is affected. I've seen people do this when converting freezers to Kegerators, but since the temperature is much lower in a freezer, I assume it wouldn't be an issue.

The freezer in these fridges is where the coolant chills the inside of the unit. It detaches on the left side and with careful bending hangs straight down on the right side. Temp control is with the analog Johnson controller. I ran the probe through the back of the fridge along with wires to run a muffin fan when the unit is on. Helps keep the tower cool and temps even throughout the fridge.

Did you line the wooden collar with anything (on the inside)? Caulk the corners or anything?

No lining on the wood, just a piece of galvanized sheet metal as a drip pan on the bottom. Connection to the front of the fridge is filled with expanding foam then sealed over with silicone caulk. The original mounting slots for the door were used to attach brackets to the collar and frigde. Small caster wheels were inset on the bottom of the collar to make it stable and easier to move. The original door hardware was used to re-attach the door to the collar. Adhesive backed magenetic strips put in place around the front of the collar for the door to seal against.

What did you do on the outside? Did you just paint the wood?

The cuff/collar was sealed with Kilz then painted with black 'hammered finish' spray paint. Not an exact match, but close enough for gubmint work.

Anything else I should know?

Take your time and think through what you want to do. Make absolutely sure you have your coolant lines marked if you want to go throught the metal cabinet of the fridge. I didn't find any lines in the back where the corrugated plastic board covered the insulation. I went throught the top right side (looking at the back of the unit) for CO2 hose, temp probe and fan wires.

Things I'd do different? I would have waited to paint until I had the tower hole cut and the tower ready to install.

Back