Made this two days ago..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tactical-Brewer

Reaction score
So, I promise you all, as well as myself, I won't just throw random stuff together after this... But I had some extra stuff... That I threw together. We'll see..

1lb crystal malt
1lb dark dme
.5lb Pilsen light dme
.5oz fuggles for 60
300 grams brown sugar @ 10
2oz honey at flame out
Ale yeast

2.25 gallon pre boil, ended with about 1.8 gallons

OG was 1.060 after the wort cooled down and 1.030 pre boil. I have no idea on efficiency or even how to calculate it yet. Aaaaand I have no idea what this will taste like but it's bubbling away in the fermenter now.

Wish me luck!
JK

Efficiency is not a factor when you use extract as the maltster has already tried to get the most he can from the malt and then made it into extract. If you go to all grain brewing, then it is up to you to try to get the most sugars converted and extracted from the grain at which point you can compare your efficiency with the ideal efficiency.

At first glance, that seems like a lot of Crystal malt and the sugars in it are mostly non-fermentable so you will end up with a sweeter beer than most people would prefer but that doesn't mean you won't like it. Ferment it cool for 5 to 7 days, let it warm to room temp for another 5 to 10 days for the yeast to do their cleanup and settle out and then take your hydrometer readings to make sure it is ready to be bottled.

I will co-sign what RM-MN said but add that since you added sugar and honey, both of which are very fermentable, it might dry the beer out enough to overcome the sweetness from the crystal malt...might be a pretty good beer.

I'll keep yas posted for sure. It's fun to experiment, but from here on when I "experiment" I want to know "why" I'm adding "X" and what effect I want it to have on the beer. But it's fun nonetheless.

So, I promise you all, as well as myself, I won't just throw random stuff together after this... But I had some extra stuff... That I threw together. We'll see..

1lb crystal malt
1lb dark dme
.5lb Pilsen light dme
.5oz fuggles for 60
2oz honey at flame out
Ale yeast

OG was 1.060 after the wort cooled down and 1.030 pre boil. I have no idea on efficiency or even how to calculate it yet. Aaaaand I have no idea what this will taste like but it's bubbling away in the fermenter now.

This should cure you of just tossing 'stuff' together.

Crystal will make it taste sweet and adds non-fermentable sugars (making it actually sweet). And you used a lot of it in 2 gallons. Dark DME has a lot of specialty grains too, which will also make it sweet. The sugar may offset some off it, but not all.

May be great, but I wouldn't hold out too much hope. Is probably drinkable if you like it sweet.

Sorry, but my stomach turned looking at that recipe

It seems your post and your signature ...

"If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?"

...don't agree with each other ;)

Tactical, every brew is a learning experience. Who knows, you may have just invented a new BJCP style - Really Sweet Stout!

Didn't say it wasn't research or an experiment, but well, just not for me. I truly hope he enjoys it, and that I'm wrong. Wouldn't be the first time, and I hope won't be the last time.

+70% specialty malts...mother...of...god...
I think you need to place some sort of orchestrated lines of holy dust around the fermentor and sacrifice your firstborn child to repent

1lb crystal malt
1lb dark dme
.5lb Pilsen light dme
.5oz fuggles for 60
2oz honey at flame out
Ale yeast

Wish me luck!
JK

404 - Base malt not found

It only fermented hard for a couple days. I guess I'll let it condition for a month or so. I'll definitely keep yas updated though. I'm excited to try it though haha! May have a case of the sweetest, nastiest beer around.

It only fermented hard for a couple days. I guess I'll let it condition for a month or so. I'll definitely keep yas updated though. I'm excited to try it though haha! May have a case of the sweetest, nastiest beer around.

I've done the same thing, a "kitchen-sink" batch with whatever I had left hanging around. As I was brewing, I kept telling myself, "This is going to be a great beer." So, right off the shelf, it was... *meh*.

6 months later, it's now a great beer, very slighty sweet and pleasingly bitter and I'd brew it again --- if I'd kept better track of the ingredients and the process. :D

I hope I'm that lucky!

I have no idea. From here on out, I will follow recipes. I'll still Experiment, I just want to be able to have some sort of idea what I'll end up with after the experiment lol

Ok, so I bottled this tonight, it smells really good, and is definitely sweet but has a pretty strong kick.

I can't quite place the smell and back end. It doesn't have a real thick mouth feel which is works well. Has almost a crisp brown Ale type of taste but sweet notes throughout but not overwhelming (for me anyways).

Who knows lol, I'll update in a few weeks though.

You should dub it "Frankenbrau." Make a label with neck bolts, and everything.

Anything you'd compare it to?

Hmm, man, I've honestly been wracking my brain trying to "name" the flavor notes and what not, and think of a comparable beer and I just can't wrap my head around them.

I could never be a BJCP judge lol. It smells like a sweet brown ale, decent mouth feel, little bit thicker than say like a new castle, but nowhere near as heavy as a stout, there's faint hints of honey, but almost like what I'd imagine dates or something. Heck, I'm no good at describing these things.

It's honestly an easy drinker, doesn't linger in the mouth too long, nicely carbed, with no real harsh tones.

And the only real reason I say I wouldn't make it again, is because there's beer out there that I know I can make now that I like better. Definitely nothing wrong with it, and if I tried a six pack of it from the store, I wouldn't have complained. If that makes sense.

Wow, yeah, I didn't even realize until I checked the date of the first post. This isn't even a month old yet and taste, definitely, drinkable.

Not too shabby!

Don't drink it up too fast as it is very likely to improve with a bit more age. I'd expect it to be quite good in 3 months.:mug:

The struggle of getting that pipeline going is real! Lol, I'm going to let a few kick back for a while but it's hard when you don't have any other HB beers ready to drink

Haha, I wish I was brewing tomorrow! I won't be able to brew again for probably another 2 weeks. Next up is going to be Cream of 3 I believe. But shortly thereafter I want an ESB and a stout in the pipeline.

Dog gone it Slym! Lol! While he one should I make? Centennial Blonde or Cream of 3 Crops? I'll make them both, but which one first lol

Do the CO3C first. Rope in your BMC drinking friends to craft beer.

Just don't forget about the blonde. It's truly that good!

:D

Nice lol. I thought but wasn't sure. I'll hopefully be brewing a lot this year. Gotta get that pipeline flowin!

Haha, I wish I was brewing tomorrow! I won't be able to brew again for probably another 2 weeks. Next up is going to be Cream of 3 I believe. But shortly thereafter I want an ESB and a stout in the pipeline.

So you're going to do a double brew day and make two batches? That would help fill the pipeline. Only one cleanup to do that way if you do it right.:ban:

That's not a bad idea! If I could convince my SO to give me a full day. She got mad last time because it took me almost 7 hours start to finish on my New Castle clone lol. 90 min mash, 90 min boil and damn near an hour just to reach the boil. And I was having to figure some things out on the fly with my wee little 2 gallon mash tun coolers lol.

Probably not on the cream of 3 brew but maybe my ESB and stout day I'll do a double header.

Back