Made the drive...brewing tomorrow

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WyomingBrewer

Reaction score
So I made the drive and have a 55 lb. sack of Bries 2 row malt and specialty grains for 3 batches and hops for all and then some. I am going to do a split boil. I think Im going to try the ***** Creek first. It calls for a 90 minute boil. Im in a bit of confusion though as to my target for initial amount before boil. I typically boil off about .5-.75 gallons in a 1 hour boil but thats in my extract batches that I top off at the end. Im thinking I should be aiming at about 6.5-7 gallons pre-boil volume. Split the hops in 3rds as 1 pot is larger than the other and 2/3 in big pot 1/3 in smaller. Im really pushing the limits of my pots at that amount. If I go to 6.5 gallons I will have more boil room. Would it hurt to top off a bit? Remember this is my first all grain and Im really going to learn a lot on this.

i do not think it would be bad to top of

So I made the drive and have a 55 lb. sack of Bries 2 row malt and specialty grains for 3 batches and hops for all and then some. I am going to do a split boil. I think Im going to try the ***** Creek first. It calls for a 90 minute boil. Im in a bit of confusion though as to my target for initial amount before boil. I typically boil off about .5-.75 gallons in a 1 hour boil but thats in my extract batches that I top off at the end. Im thinking I should be aiming at about 6.5-7 gallons pre-boil volume. Split the hops in 3rds as 1 pot is larger than the other and 2/3 in big pot 1/3 in smaller. Im really pushing the limits of my pots at that amount. If I go to 6.5 gallons I will have more boil room. Would it hurt to top off a bit? Remember this is my first all grain and Im really going to learn a lot on this.

I just completed it. My first all grain is under my belt now :rockin:. Sorry for the wrong title but I actually posted this last night as a reply to the original post but did not get any responses, copy and paste, tomorrow actually was today. I ended up not having to top off and it would seem I did ok as I hit my OG spot on almost. Recipee called for 1.061 and I got 1.064. Not to shabby I think for my first try. Now to see how the beer turns out. Everything went smoothly as far as I can tell except I put a hot stock pot on my carpet with out thinking and melted a circle pattern in it. That ones gonna cost me and I hope I didnt just ban brewing in the house. SWMBO is pissed, but I am to. I wasnt even drinking when I did it so no excuse but DUMB!

SWMBO is pissed, or pissed off? It makes a difference. How does she rate the gravity of the offence. Could you stand a beer dispensing keg there to hide the damage? Or make lots more of the circle patterns so it doesn't stand out too much. Buy her some flowers from the local garage. Let us know which hospital you are taken too and we will send some flowers.

True, but Wyoming is freezing right now for a boy from the south. Brrr brr brr....I did take the next step to brewing outside though. Found a 60qt stainless steel stock pot on e-bay for 79.99 with 20.00 in shipping. Thats 15 gallons of pure brewing out door fun! woot!

Ooh... brewing inside. Lucky for me, I only made a few mistakes that proved to be reversible before I decided to move brewing outside. Outside is nice. If there is a boilover, no worries- they're rocks and dirt that I'm brewing over. If there is a fire, well, I think we'll break out marshmallows. If there is a smell, I enjoy it and the house smells neutral. If I want to drink and be loud, it works great at all hours of the day or night- and SWMBO doesn't get bothered!

Brewing outside rules. :cool:

Back