Made the Big move to Electric!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patsan

Reaction score
I put this system together about 5 months ago. Have 7 cooks on it. What a huge improvement! The control I have with mash temp has never been better. The system is self-built. Kind of a rip off of other systems Iv'e seen. Because I'm using an electric plate instead of a coil, it does take a little longer to get to the temperatures needed. So the brew day is about 5 hours including cleanup. I have a Chiller plate, 15 Gal pot, 220v electric plate, 2 blichmann pumps, and an aquarium pump for the chiller. I just got an Ink Bird controller and a 10.1
20190107_103815.jpg
20190106_124737.jpg
freezer. I'm keeping it as a fermentation chamber, (67 degrees for the most part).

In fermentation: 5 Gal Jalapeno/Lime Imperial cream ale (est 8.18%)
In Keg and drinking: 5 Gal of Strawberry/Pear cider

how is that jalapeno/lime cream ale? I've wanted to do a beer with jalapenos for years now. I grow them in my garden, so I think I'm gonna give it a go this summer.
Setup looks great btw!

how is that jalapeno/lime cream ale? I've wanted to do a beer with jalapenos for years now. I grow them in my garden, so I think I'm gonna give it a go this summer.
Setup looks great btw!

This is my 3rd time making it. The first time, I made it as a session at about 4.5%. The second, 7.5%! I try not to re-do many styles, always putting a different spin on it. This time the spin is 8.18% and a little more jalapeno and a little less lime. Plus i'm drying it out with a pound of corn sugar. It is VERY easy to make if you don't overdo the heat.

This is my 3rd time making it. The first time, I made it as a session at about 4.5%. The second, 7.5%! I try not to re-do many styles, always putting a different spin on it. This time the spin is 8.18% and a little more jalapeno and a little less lime. Plus i'm drying it out with a pound of corn sugar. It is VERY easy to make if you don't overdo the heat.
wanna share the recipe with me?

wanna share the recipe with me?

Here you go! Keep in mind, I use a BIAB system

11.5 lbs Pale malt (2 row) US
2 lbs Vienna malt
1 lbs corn flaked
8 oz Cara-Pils
(If you want to bring it to 7.5 to 8% abv Add 1 lbs of corn sugar)
1.0 oz Magnum hops
1.0 oz Liberty hops, (you can substitute Willamette if you wish)
6 jalapeno halves, roasted ( you can use raw, seedless, use 5 halves then)
1 packet Safale american #US-05

I do a 75 minute steep at 152-153 degrees
Pull the bag, drain, I squeeze the the $h1t out of it, (personal choice)
Then a 60 minute boil
The magnum hops are 60 minutes
The Liberty hops last 15 minutes
The Jalapenos are added the last 15 minutes
For clarity I use a Whirifloc tablet with 15 minutes left

I use 7.5 gallon initial boil. I end up with 5 gallons in primary ferment.

After about 12 days in Primary +/- a couple of days, I rack to secondary and add 2 more Jalapeno halves soaked in vodka over night.

And the finale: At the same time I added the Jalapenos in the secondary, I add 4 limes zest, also soaked in Vodka. Go 4-7 days, check your gravity, if you need longer, don't worry about it.... Go longer.

can't speak for OP, but I'm about to start eBIAB brewing and am going to use two pumps.
one to whirlpool and the other to pump ice water through an IC at the same time

You are correct NJ. I did it for the ease cooling. With a bucket of ice water, a garden hose, and an aquarium pump, I can cool in about 15 minute, even in Florida. Yes, I could have done it with one pump, but this setup is pretty cool!

Nice! You'll love it! I know I don't regret going to electric with mine.

Latest posts

Back