made one of my favorite beer foods last night

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cweston

Reaction score
Choucroute (sp?)

Saute about 1/2 lb cut up bacon, add an onion or two, sliced, a few cloves of garlic.
Add a pint of beer (I used my berry mild, since that's the one I treasure drinking the least of my current stock), a Tblspn or 2 brown sugar, spices (bay leaf, pepper, juniper berry is good), a couple pounds of good sauerkraut, some country-style pork ribs, and 2-3 sliced apples (peels and all is fine).

Simmer that covered a couple hours. Add 2-3 kinds of sausages for another 1/2 hour or so. (A little longer if they're uncooked.) You can add chunks of good ham, too, or really any kind of charcuterie that you fancy. Pick the bones out of the ribs (which will have broken into pieces on their own).

I think wine is more traditional for this dish, but I like the more robust flavor that beer gives it. I'm not a big sauerkraut eater but I love this dish. (The long cooking takes the bite out of the kraut.)

I do rinse the kraut, but my wife, who is more of a kraut lover, prefers it if I don't.

Back