Made my first sausages this weekend!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moose_MI

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My first post in the sausage making forum! Yet another thing I’ve always wanted to try and I really enjoyed it. I think this is more for me than cheese making. I’m sure I’ll keep playing with cheese but holy cow...the things you can do with $1.49/lbs pork butt and 100ft of casings for $5. I just got the grinder attachment for my wife’s kitchen aid and ... BAM! And this is something that is very age appropriate for my 17 yr old carnivore/football player/teenager/protein enthusiast son!

We did 17lbs of porky butt...regular brat, sweet italian, and bacon/cheese brats....

006B54CD-A518-4DBD-B58E-CF74649CC722.jpeg
D95149B9-B474-437B-8173-C4D201E3C1D4.jpeg

We just upgraded from the Kitchenaid grinder to a real meat grinder. Power n speed! Made fermented spruce tip beer that should pair nicely with a venison grinding party.

We used the sausage stuffer attachment that came with the Kitchen Aid meat grinder kit.
Welcome to the wonderful world of sausage! After about 50 lbs made, I ditched the stuffing function of the Kitchen Aid attachment and purchased a 5lb LEM brand dedicated stuffer. The grinder on the Kitchen Aid works great, but man that stuffer is a pain in the neck. If you plan to keep with this hobby, look into a dedicated stuffer. Worth every penny and then some.

Back