Made my first "partial mash" attempt last night and its making we want to go AG!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim311

Reaction score
I've extract brewed a bunch of times and I like how it's quick, easy, and consistent. But yesterday at the LHBS I accidentally asked for a "mini mash" recipe instead of an extract kit. It was basically half grain and half extract. I've done a few brews with specialty grain steeps in the past, so I figured I'd just wing it and try this mini mash recipe and I think it turned out pretty well. So well in fact that it made me want to move to all grain but I'm wondering if the equipment I currently have will work. I have access to two coolers, a 5 gallon round beverage cooler which I just used for the mini mash kit and it worked alright. I just left my grains loosely in a bag during the mash. I could buy a false floor or drain tube for this if it will do the job. Alternatively I have a nice 45 quart Yeti cooler I could use and I know this would accommodate bigger beers, but would need to figure out how to strain the grains. For my pot I currently have a 3 gallon one and obviously since I'm brewing 5 gallon batches that's not going to work. I bought an old keg from a friend that I can convert to a keggle. I assume I just need a drain valve for that. Is that all I really need? The process for all grain seems pretty straight forward other than that.

you're definitely going to want to use the 45 quart cooler you can convert it with a ss braid or you can do BIAB. as for a pot, you're going to need at least 8GAL but more will definitely be better.

you're definitely going to want to use the 45 quart cooler you can convert it with a ss braid or you can do BIAB. as for a pot, you're going to need at least 8GAL but more will definitely be better.

That's what I thought. It's also a very nice cooler with excellent seals and insulation so I'm betting it will rock for keeping steady temps. I just saw this bag you line the inside of your cooler with instead of using a braid and I think I like the idea of that and will use it. As for the pot should I abandon the keggle idea all together? I like that there's no way it would ever boil over but I wonder about efficiency in terms of boil off rates and propane usage. It might be worth buying a new pot.. but how big? I like 5 gallon batches and have no plans to expand on that any time soon.

I have no experience with keggles so i can't give you any info there. I do 5 gallon batches with an 8 gallon Megapot, but wish i would've gotten at least the 10 gallon. The 8 gallon pot is always just about maxed out on volume

Should I go even bigger than 10 gallon? Maybe I just just stick with the keggle idea, it would have more than enough room I'd think! Plus, I already own it.

Stick with the keggle. I recently upgraded my system to keggles and love it cause I normally do 6 gallon batches but can now do 12 gallons of the two main house beers that I always have on tap. You just need a good burner or convert to electric.

Stick with the keggle. I recently upgraded my system to keggles and love it cause I normally do 6 gallon batches but can now do 12 gallons of the two main house beers that I always have on tap. You just need a good burner or convert to electric.

My burner now absolutely rages with these 3 gallon extract brews. I have no fear that it has the power to spare for 5-8 gallons!

I found out the hard way, moving up to a 10 gal pot, that my flimsy turkey fryer burner just didnt cut it. Took forever to heat up boil temp. I am investing in a Blichman burner.. only like $150 with the legs. I suggest you buy the bigger burner now for full boils..

I have a Bayou Classic SP10. You don't think it will be enough for a 5 gallon all grain batch?

55,000 btu should be fine for 5 gallons.

I do full boils and still use the burner that I got with my turkey fryer set up when I first started brewing. Link.

I upgraded my pot to an SS 8 gallon, but I always have to watch for boil overs so I;d like to upgrade again to a 10 gallon pot within a year.

Back