Made my first Chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonnyp1980

Reaction score
Im brewing my first beer this weekend and came to this site (very glad i did) the information im getting is awesome. So i kept thinking about cooling my wort and i disnt want to cool it via an ice bath..takes too long imo, so i was told about a chiller...i figured instead of paying 90 dollars for one id try to make it instead. I suck at making or do it yourself things and i almost got into trouble with this...I recommend a pipe bender..i almost kinked the copper tubbing..total cost at the depot about 35 bucks. :)

Chiller.jpg

I recently did the same thing--and had almost the same experience. With all the parts it cost me about $35 at Home Depot. I carefully wrapped the copper tubing around one of my kegs and since the copper already was somewhat in a coil, it didn't require a lot of bending. I didn't use, but would strongly recommend, a pipe bender. I almost kinked the copper when I bent the end for the water coming out, but its held up for a few batches now. It takes me less than 10 minutes to get it from nearly boiling to pitching temp. Of course that might change a little as we get towards the summer months, but my tap water is usually pretty cold. Its much better than using an ice bath or risk an infection using ice in the wort itself.

Looks good, nice work! I recommend hooking it up to your water source to check for any leaks before its first official use to cool down wort.

I didnt have anything small like a keg so i hand molded it...bending the bottom and getting it to the top was pretty difficult..but overall i think it was a success...tested it with a hose to make sure it was all sealed...and damn the pipe gets pretty cold..cant wait to brew my first batch...

Also, before you put it in your first batch, I'd boil it in some water for a few minutes to get any residues off the copper. Mine had a little oily residue on it, which I cleaned off with some soap and water, but I tend to be a little over cautious with sanitizing things, so before I put it in its first batch, I just put it in some boiling water for about 10 minutes and then dumped out the water--basically I treated it like it was a new brew pot. Probably overkill, but I did it anyway.

Looks good, nice work! I recommend hooking it up to your water source to check for any leaks before its first official use to cool down wort.

Thanks. tested it outside after i was finished it had some water coming out so i tightened the clamp..i ran it for 20 min..dry as can be..no leaks :rockin:

The only thing I would suggest is bending the coupling joints so that the unions are not above the kettle. Chances are any leaks will be at the joint not in the copper.

The only thing I would suggest is bending the coupling joints so that the unions are not above the kettle. Chances are any leaks will be at the joint not in the copper.

Agreed..dont dare to bend at the moment without a pipe bender...if i do it by hand it will def. kink. when i tested both ends extend beyond the rim of the kettle so i should be good..i will be bening them before brewing though..thanks for the input.

Also, before you put it in your first batch, I'd boil it in some water for a few minutes to get any residues off the copper. Mine had a little oily residue on it, which I cleaned off with some soap and water, but I tend to be a little over cautious with sanitizing things, so before I put it in its first batch, I just put it in some boiling water for about 10 minutes and then dumped out the water--basically I treated it like it was a new brew pot. Probably overkill, but I did it anyway.

I was told to be clean but not to lose sleep over it..being my first batch im going to be extra cautious and clean like im dealing with an ifectious disease..wait...that doesnt sound good but you get the idea.

What size of copper tubing did you use? $35 is nice and cheap, I paid more for just the 20' of 3/8" pipe. Nice job. I bought a pipe bender but it was the wrong size so did it by hand. Yeah, I kinked the pipe a little bit but it works just fine. Mine definitely looks homemade. :)

Nice job, it looks good... I bet kinking is a pain when trying to bend. If you are interested in no chill the HBT wiki has good info as well as my ebook.

I went with the 20 3/8 as well home depot for 20 dollars...fittings for 5 bucks and tubing around 10.. I have never been a one to build things but i think it came out well.

I went with the 20 3/8 as well home depot for 20 dollars...fittings for 5 bucks and tubing around 10.. I have never been a one to build things but i think it came out well.

Damn! I went to Lowes and I am sure it cost me about $37 for the same tubing.

EDIT : nope, I was wrong, have 5/8" OD tubing.

Nice job, it looks good... I bet kinking is a pain when trying to bend. If you are interested in no chill the HBT wiki has good info as well as my ebook.

It really started to suck feeding the bottom up through the top... it started to kink twice trying to bend so both ends extended beyond the kettle

my homemade coil is all kinked. I put my utility sink on full blast and it runs just fine. I could not possibly put more water through it. Why does everyone get all bent out of shape (pun intended) about a few kinks?

my homemade coil is all kinked. I put my utility sink on full blast and it runs just fine. I could not possibly put more water through it. Why does everyone get all bent out of shape (pun intended) about a few kinks?

I think, probably, because the more you kink it the weaker it gets and you risk leaks (into your wort). Of course, that's not an issue unless you are repeatedly bending the weakened metal.

Its like crossing the streams i think...you just dont do it. but really i guess it makes sense not to pich the water off or weaken the created joint.

Back