Made an Ale out of a Lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ale to the Chief

Reaction score
Being the beginner that I am, I ordered a Lager kit but didn't realize that I had to do anything different to actually make it a lager. Since then I've read How to Brew and Homebrewing for Dummies and realize what I've done is made an ale.

The beer is bottle conditioning right now but what do you think I can expect as far as flavors go? I used a lager yeast and fermented it at around 65 degrees. Should I expect weird flavors from this?

Donasay said:
Have you ever had a Steam Beer or California Common?

I'm in the process of reading How To Brew, and it sounds like thats exactly what he made.

Depends on the yeast. Some lager yeast can produce considerable off-flavors (sulfur, fruity, ?) at those temps. It will be drinkable and it will be beer but it probably won't be great. If you want a clean lager you need some type of temp control. However some ale yeasts can also produce a fairly clean crisp beer at those temps.

Craig

Back