Made a starter for my first time - WLP011

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NitrouStang96

Reaction score
I was reading that it could take up to 3 days for fermentation to start with this strain, so I read some instructions on how to make a starter. Pitched the the starter 36 hours after making it.

Brewed my batch last night and pitched the yeast at 1am this morning. 9am I left the house and no signs of fermentation. I checked it at 11pm and it's bubbling and churning lightly, and it was at 73 degrees... oops. Hopefully a half day or so at that high temp won't produce anything nasty. I have her down to 70 right now and I'm going to hold it at 67 in the tub of water.

Anyway... since all you do is pitch your yeast into some wort and let it sit for awhile, I figure I'll make starters from now on. Pretty easy.

Starters are easy.It's not a bad idea to swirl them every couple of hours if you are in the area. Helps get some 02 in there.

Blender said:
Starters are easy.It's not a bad idea to swirl them every couple of hours if you are in the area. Helps get some 02 in there.

would this be a good idea if you are have a small time frame between brew day and making the starter?

in the past, my starters were made a few days in advance. i'm doing a brew party this weekend, and both me and my buddy's supplies won't get here until friday (possibly thursday) and i want to make the starter in the early am to get atleast 24hrs before pitching on saturday afternoon/night. will the swirling help them take off faster?

riored4v said:
would this be a good idea if you are have a small time frame between brew day and making the starter?

in the past, my starters were made a few days in advance. i'm doing a brew party this weekend, and both me and my buddy's supplies won't get here until friday (possibly thursday) and i want to make the starter in the early am to get atleast 24hrs before pitching on saturday afternoon/night. will the swirling help them take off faster?
It is not so much as starting faster but rather when growing yeast you want an uptake of 02. If you don't have a stirplate then this is a good option.
Some techinical reading is here >> http://www.maltosefalcons.com/tech/MB_Raines_Guide_to_Yeast_Culturing.php

Back