Made a gross first batch and am trying to improve. Help?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seasum

Reaction score
So me and my roommates decided to get a homebrew kit last semester. A really awesome and expensive one. We researched and researched and got help from our local homebrew store and brewed up our first batch. However, it ended up tasting like Keystone light with a bitterness that was not supposed to be there.

We used a Coopers Real Ale precanned Malt Extract thing and used corn sugar as a primer. I know things went wrong at a few places, but nothing major that I am aware of.

1. A small amount of wort boiled over. We are battling having 5 gallon batches but boiling the wort in a 16 qt pot when 20-24 would be much more ideal. It didn't seem like it actually got burned at all.

2. We had issues with the siphon at first in the bottling process. I didn't know it was a big deal to have air in it at first. However it was sorted out after the first couple of bottles.

3. We only used one can of the extract. Looking around on the internet, I found out later that it is usually advisable to use two. I'm hoping this is the main source of the problem since an extra would add a lot of flavor to the beer.

Other than that, I can't think of what would've gone badly. We sanitized like crazy people and followed multiple sets of agreeable instructions, cross-checking that we didn't screw it up too bad. The cooling of the wort was fine, we added yeast at the exact right temperature after the right amount of time. Gravitys were good, though the beer was only like 3.8%

For the second batch, we are going to try to go with a precanned again until we get a batch that is at least okay. After that we will upgrade to partial mash or higher technique wise. We are also using a 1-stage fermentation instead of a 2 even though we have equipment for 2.
For the extract, we were thinking of the Coopers Irish Stout, since the heavier flavor of that should help cover up mistakes. I'm a little worried though because I hate bottled Guiness, even though I love it on tap.

That's all I can think of for now. I just really want to fix this so that we can start making and drinking better beer, and so the initial investment won't go to waste as my roommates get frustrated by ****ty beer. Should I just dive head in, and figure out hops and grains so I can follow recipes? Keep going with the precanned? Thanks for any help in making this not suck.

**Tl;dr** Made a meh first batch of beer with one precanned malt extract. Bumping it up to two probably. Looking for tips of any kind on beginner brews.

The first batch I made was from a recipe with DME (dried malt extract) instead of a kit. I think it is just as easy. You can order everything you need from websites like northern brewer or brewmasters warehouse. All you have to do is dump in the extract and add the hops at the right time.

I'm assuming the problem you had is completely the result of not enough extract from the kit. Over bitterness probably caused because not enough malt to balance it out. Also, at <4% abv it seems to be low. I haven't made a kit before, so I can't give advice about the next batch, but like I said if you get the ingredients separately you can decide exactly how much to add. Look around online.

Keg or bottles? How long did it have to mature before you drank it?

I made a cream ale from a kit and it was just OK for the first few weeks and then it matured and became awesome. I tend to prefer a dark beer but that cream ale blew me away with its flavor. Too bad it was mostly gone when it matured.

Latest posts

Back