Mad River Brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xiang

Reaction score
The other day I decided to run down the street to Ladd's to peruse the ever expanding selection of craft brews when I came across the just added offerings from Mad River Brewing. After some internal debate between the Steelhead Extra Pale Ale, Steelhead Double India Pale Ale and Steelhead Scotch Porter (Scotch Porter really peaked my interest). I decided I had best end any and all internal debate and try them all.

I tried one this afternoon.

Steelhead Extra Pale Ale

Appearance: cloudy golden color with an inch white head, the brew is filled with tons of tiny yeast particles. (will have to harvest some)

Smell: Delicate flowery hop with undertones of citrus and a mild spiciness. Pale malt sweetness is quite evident also.

Taste: Mildly sweet malts provide the upfront flavor. The malt is balanced with just the right amount of spicy floral hops.

Mouthfeel: Above average.

Drinkability: Very good at 5.60% ABV. Nice, easy drinkability due to a balanced, smooth taste, hints of caramel and spicy floral hops that have a good soft bitterness. A nice offering. Not over done, no frills, just a pleasent session APA.

I'm looking forward to tasting the other two tonight while I brew 10gal of something, of which, I have yet to decide. :drunk:

Mad River makes some good stuff. Had the extra pale ale, the double IPA, but never the scotch porter. I have to say my favorite is Jamaica Red, excellent stuff.

Their Extra Pale used to be one of my favorite beers. I haven't had it for a long time, I think I'll grab some this weekend.

Back