m54 or other cal common strains in an IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hotwatermusic

Reaction score
I have 3 packs of mangrove jacks cal common yeast on hand and was trying to see what I can work into my keezer. An IPA is about to kick and I thought it might be fun to try replacing with a similar beer but with this yeast. I believe IIRC Bissell brothers use that strain. Not planning on brewing an NE specifically, could care less about haze levels and certainly don't intend on basing the beer around appearance. However I do plan on using a fair amount of wheat in the recipe and focusing on fruitier hops- Azacca and Ekuanot (powder), hopshot bittered. I have heard that M54 has a long lag phase, are there any others concerns/comments to be aware of with the strain? Thanks.

7 lbs Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 48.3 %
5 lbs Pale Malt, Golden Promise (Thomas Fawcett) (3.0 SRM) Grain 2 34.5 %
2 lbs Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM) Grain 3 13.8 %
8.0 oz Caramel Vienne 20L (Briess) (20.0 SRM) Grain 4 3.4 %
1.50 oz Apollo [17.00 %] - First Wort 60.0 min
2.00 oz Ekuanot [23.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 10.0 min @180 and below (recirc chill)
3.0 pkg California Lager (Mangrove Jack's #M54) Yeast 7 -
3.00 oz Azacca [15.00 %] - Dry Hop 4.0 Days

recipe (but mostly to bump)

As far as CC yeasts go, I have only used Wyeast's (in a couple CC's, a helles-type, and a viennish). To be honest, out of all the yeasts I have tried, the CC is probably the last one I would throw into an IPA. Doesn't mean you can't or shouldn't though. But the massive maltiness and less than moderate hop accentuation I experienced is not something I would tend to choose for an IPA.

But anyhow, you weren't asking whether or not you should make an IPA with a cali common yeast...I get that now.
I do think that best results would come from mashing as low as possible, and keeping crystal malts to a minimum, which you plan to do, so good luck and tell us how goes!

Thanks, any feedback is appreciated. I do think it's an "interesting" yeast for it. However I know of a brewery out here that uses it as their house yeast. They are doing a huge amount of styles with it and have some good beers coming out so I thought I would try something out of my comfort zone. I will definitely try to remember to update this after I brew it.

I've done a split batch IPA to compare M54 and 1056. I liked both beers, hop character was similar, certainly didn't feel that M54 'stripped' any hop flavour. The M54 had a slightly fuller mouthfeel and a slightly less crisp finish, so maybe you could adjust your mash/grain bill and IBU to compensate.

To update and close this miserable chapter. I seem to have picked up a wild yeast (I'm assuming). Finished at 1.007 and had an astringent bitterness and no hop flavor. Sorry, nothing useful to be gained here. I'm sure it's not Mangrove Jack's fault but I will probably stay away from dry yeast, or at least not rehydrate, just seems like a useless exposure to contamination vectors and this was my first full batch dump. Hurts.
Also I was wrong above, Bissell Brothers uses the Anchor ale strain not the Common...

Back