Lutra, Lager and Finings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aamcle

Reaction score
Before anybody get pedantic it's faux Lager a pale ale.

Having got that out of the way, I want a clear beer and its at this point things get a bit more difficult.

I will not be going into a keg :-

1, my keg freezer has broken
2, my cornies hate me, long story.

So I'm going to bottle, carbonate and then lager -1°C (I hope) for a few days.

What Fining procedure do you believe is most appropriate?

Thanks All. Aamcle

I can't cold crash in the fermenter so mostly I do it in the keg. Lutra is so clear by the time I keg (14 or so days) that in 14 more days at 33* in lagerator , by the third pour is crystal clear and there is hardly any sediment in the empty keg. I would be more concerned that no yeast will carry over into bottling bucket to carb. 3 grams of CBC yeast will take care of that.

Well it's still young and it's similar to lager but it's obviously not what I would consider a normal lager.
It's drinkable but unless it improves markedly I won't use Lutra for lager again.

Atb.

I don't have good luck with Lutra for anything light, especially "lagers". I've had a few stouts with it that were decent. Overall, it's not a yeast I would use again on any regular basis.

Back