Lumpy Dog Brown from Rock Bottom

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FEARDIZ

Reaction score
Hi all I'm looking for a recipe on how to make or come close to Rock Bottom's Lumpy Dog Brown. Any ideas?? Extract or PM please..

thanks
John

I got the recipe from Rock Bottom, can someone make the brewing for dummys intructions for me.. 5gals
thanks

OG - 16° Plato

FG - 4° Plato

85% American 2 Row

5% Melanoidin Malt

5% Aromatic Malt

3% Special B

3% Roasted Barley

90 minute boil (Hop Quantities are for about 230 gallons)

16 oz. Willamette @ 60 min.

32 oz. Willamette @ 85 min.

I use a clean American Ale Yeast and ferment on the cool side of the spectrum (66°F), but you could also use a more characterful Scottish Yeast if you like.

What's the difference in the yest?

Thanks
John

Never tried this beer, but that is awesome that you got the recipe from them. First of all do you brew AG or extract? Second, if ag what kind of efficiency do you get? Someone with some brewing software should probably chime in, but if you answer those 2 questions I should be able to get you close even though I dont' have any brewing software.

Ok, here it is! First, the full scale recipe, then an AG recipe, and finally a PM version:

full.jpg

ag.jpg

pm.jpg

wow Yuri, that is awesome I spent the last damn hour trying to figure out how to convert Plato to brix so I could estimate the amount of grain needed for 5 gallons at that gravity and post a recipe on here. I figure it out, and come back and you already posted a recipe.I think this experience alone has convinced me to go buy some brewing software.

Did it convert plato to brix for you, or did you have to do that on your own?

thanks for the replies
I've been doing extracts, I could try PM.. but I still need the all the steps for brewing
Also sorry I've never used and brew software

thanks
John

When I converted it to all extract, I didn't like the results. The specialty grain bill has too many "must mash" ingredients that don't convert well to an extract recipe.

If you can't do a full 6.5 gallon boil, stop reading here. Otherwise, the following instructions are a rough guess based on the beer style and minimal brew equipment:

Heat 5 quarts of water to 167° F in a kettle big enough to hold the water plus all of the grain (loosely held in a grain bag). When the water is up to temperature, turn the heat off, and add the grain. Move the grain bag around a bit to fully soak all of the grain, then measure the temperature. You are shooting for about 155° for 40 minutes. Slightly lower temps are ok, but don't go higher. You can directly heat the mash if you undershoot the initial temp.

After 40 minutes, assume that conversion is complete, and sparge. The easiest way to do that is to remove the grain bag from the mash water and put it into a large colander. Pour the mash water into the boil kettle, and heat another 5-10 quarts of water to 170° F. Hold the colander over the boil kettle and slowly pour the sparge water over it, rinsing any residual sugars from the grain.

Top the boil kettle up to about 6.25 gallons, add the extract, stirring well, and proceed with the boil just as you would for an all extract brew.

I'm having a bit of an issue finding some of these ingredients online.. mainly
aromatic malt
melanoiden malt
special b malt

maybe they have different names or something?? I looked on northern brewer and midwest supply

thanks
John

FEARDIZ said:
I'm having a bit of an issue finding some of these ingredients online.. mainly
aromatic malt
melanoiden malt
special b malt

maybe they have different names or something?? I looked on northern brewer and midwest supply

thanks
John

They are all there: http://www.northernbrewer.com/grainmalts.html

Aromatic and special b are available from Dingemans and melanoidin from Weyermann.

so for the malts I need it's
#G205 Belgian Aromatic Malt
#G209 Dingemans Special B
#G368 Weyermann Melanoidin

I guess it's the band name just confusing me

stupid question... when I top off the brew kettle to about 6.25 gallons, should the top off water be boiling or at least hot, or it doesn't matter?? I was thinking of heating up some of the top off water, so the boil starts sooner.

Thanks

Back