Lubricating my grain mill.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beaner1082

Reaction score
Anyone have any suggestions on what to lubricate the rollers on my grain mill with?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Never had that problem in the 5 or more years I've had my mill being storing in a dry place.

But I suppose a spray cooking oil would be good, but you'd probably want to run some grain through and discard it before getting your bill together. Maybe someone who conditions their grain will have a better answer.

Never had that problem in the 5 or more years I've had my mill being storing in a dry place.

But I suppose a spray cooking oil would be good, but you'd probably want to run some grain through and discard it before getting your bill together. Maybe someone who conditions their grain will have a better answer.

How dry you talking? Like not water on it or not 90% humidity in the summer

I store mine in the basement, but there is a dehumidifier down there. Never had a problem with rusty rollers, but it doesn't usually go for more then a month without being used.

I store mine in the basement, but there is a dehumidifier down there. Never had a problem with rusty rollers, but it doesn't usually go for more then a month without being used.

My problem is no room in the room with dehumidifier. And 90% humidity in the summers

I would use food grade mineral oil not cooking oil; cooking oil can go rancid. I use it to oil my wooden cutting block, remove any excess with a clean cloth then store. Shouldn't need to clean before use any oil would be absorbed by the grain and it is hydrophobic (hates water) so it should stay with the grains.

Back