lube on poppet valve o-rings?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BuzzCraft

Reaction score
is it a bad idea to put keg lube on the poppet valve o-ring on the beer out post of a corny (i'm talking about the ring on the poppet itself, not the bigger one on the post)?

since it takes so very little oil to kill head retention, i'm a little leary of doing it....or is it so little that it won't be an issue?

I do it. Still get great head. I even use the Vaseline.

Normally it's not needed but sometimes you will get a pesky poppet on a conditioning keg or on one that needs to get pulled for a while. Sometime it helps.

I'm just getting hip to keg lube. I'm gonna use it on everything. I had a stuck in poppet the other day. I'm lucky it wasn't the out! :D

I use it, I've had some poppets leak everytime I disconnect the Quick Disc. I apply lube, and it then works fine. I'd rather have a sealed keg with poor head, than an empty keg.

I even put keg lube on the threads of the posts too. Even after sitting for ages (sometimes I don't clean empties as soon as I should) the posts spin right off with ease.

It's cheap and seems to hurt nothing. *shrug*

Back