lowering sparge water ph

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

colinwollmann

Reaction score
What do you guys use to lower sparge water p.h?My water is high in p.h.,so I was lookin for some info on how to get it to a reasonable level.I use gypsum to adjust my mash p.h.

btw,my p.h. is at about 8.0 to8.2

thanks

I think sparge water is less important, because you've already completed the enzymatic activity, and for batch sparging the water just isn't int he MLT long enough.

for fly sparging, it might matter. I only batch sparge...

I add the 5.2 pH buffer to the sparge water, too. The sparge pH will affect the wort pH, which affects how the hops and the resulting beer tastes, so why not treat it (if you've got alkaline water).

Sparge water pH is important for fly sparging as you can get tannin extraction once it gets above ~6. Just like the mash though it is not your water pH in your hot liqour tank that is important but rather the pH it equilibrates to when mixed with your grain bed. As the fly sparge proceeds the sugar and pH lowering compounds are rinsed out of your grain bed and the pH starts to climb. Many fly sparge and don't allow their runnings SG fall below a certain value like 1.010 or 1.008 - this is a surrogate marker for the pH and much easier to measure. If your water is working fine for the mash I wouldn't worry about the sparge. If you need to adjust the mash with 5.2 or acid to get an appropriate mash pH I would also adjust the sparge water - but only when fly sparging. With a batch sparge you aren't rinsing until down to a very dilute solution so the runnings pH doesn't rise anywhere near as much in your last batch sparge.

GT

When I acidify my sparge water, I use lactic acid, which seems to work pretty well. There's a small section in Dave Miller's old homebrewing book (The Complete Handbook of Home Brewing), so I'd guess there's probably one in his new one as well.

BLM

Back