Lowering fermentation temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillTheSlink

Reaction score
Hello:

I am going to do my first brew next month and on the advise of my LHBS I'll do an ale, either an Irish Red (I've never had one, but they look good), or a cream ale like Little Kings (it used to be made here so the LHBS has went out of its way to work up this clone and I like Little Kings); however, my true interest lies in the great German Lagers, Pilzners, and I love Helles.

I am going to buy the following setup from Northern Brewer (The LHBS can't come close to the Premium Kit). A 7 1/2 stainless brew pot, two glass carboys, and all the fixens (I am going with that big pot because I want to go to partial mash someday and I want full boil and it comes with a wort chiller). My question is about lagering. Firstly, does only the primary fermenter have to be kept cool or do they doth? If only one, does a typical carboy fit an average size fridge? If not how do you keep your primary (or secondary) cool?

I was just hoping to pick up a cheap fridge somewhere and use one of their temp controls.

By the way, this site is great. A lot of my questions were right there in the stickys.

:mug: BillTheSlink

Both have to be cold, but fermentation is warmer. Ferment in the mid 50's and lager in the 40's. Some people lager even colder and some say just at or above freezing. I don't know about the fridge question. I just wait until winter here in Utah. My spare room is in the 50's and my garage is in the 40's.
Edit: Don't forget about diacetyl rest

Both have to be cold, but fermentation is warmer. Ferment in the mid 50's and lager in the 40's. Some people lager even colder and some say just at or above freezing. I don't know about the fridge question. I just wait until winter here in Utah. My spare room is in the 50's and my garage is in the 40's.
Edit: Don't forget about diacetyl rest

Umm, that would mean I could only have one lager going at one time (if it does indeed fit). How do the German wheat ales compare to helles in taste?:drunk:

Ah Ha!

Some one sent me instructions to search on Ken Schwartz and I found his plans for a chiller and also someone else has expanded it to hold two carboys (I don't think I'll need that.) I found my answer. Thanks guys.

Back