Lower ABV Stout with flavor and consistency of Imperial Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CyberFox

Reaction score
Has anyone had any experience with lower alcohol Stouts (around 5 ABV) that have the taste and consistency of an Imperial Stout? When I say Imperial Stout, I mean the kind that are fairly sweet and thick as motor oil, what some call Dessert/Pastry Stouts.

IMO, not really. There's just not enough malt in a lower gravity beer to pull this off convincingly. But if you want to try it, use a large-ish grain bill with lots of low-ish attenuating grains. Do a short mash at high temperatures. Add lactose to the boil. Use a not very attenuative yeast strain.

Thanks for the links. Sounds like taking an Imperial Stout and decreasing the specialty malts by 25%, then adjusting the base malt to hit the desired ABV is a good place to start. Using a less attenuative yeast (probably English), doing a 45 minute mash around 156 degrees, and using lactose should also help. Good stuff!

Do a short mash at high temperatures.

Agreed on this (and the other stuff too). I'm drinking a stout right now where I did this. The only thing I changed from the last one (other than adding some nibs) was the mash temperature and time. I went from my standard 150F for an hour to 45 minutes at 155F. In both cases I hit OG around 1.070, but the mash temp / time difference took my from about 1.020 the previous brew to 1.029 this time around. No question it's thicker and sweeter.

Back