Lower ABV Carbed Cyzer help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkKF

Reaction score
O.K. I'm looking for a lower ABV cyzer recipe I can modify and force carb. Trying to hit 5.5-6.5% I'm thinking I need to start with apple juice around 1.050-1.060 and add honey + water in the 1.040-1.050 area. Just afraid the water will cause it to loose some flavor. Help!

O.K. I'm looking for a lower ABV cyzer recipe I can modify and force carb. Trying to hit 5.5-6.5% I'm thinking I need to start with apple juice around 1.050-1.060 and add honey + water in the 1.040-1.050 area. Just afraid the water will cause it to loose some flavor. Help!

That's why I've never done one. I dunno what honey you can use that will retain any flavor mixed that thinly. Session meads typically use spices or herbs or other stuff to make up for weak honey taste.

I entered a cyser in a comp this year at 13% ABV, 50 points cider and 50 points honey (no water), and the judges called it cider with a bit of honey.

Bishop's Orchards in Guilford has a single variety cider made from Golden Delicious apples and sweetened with honey that took a gold medal at GLINTCAP in 2014. I think that's the way I'd go.

Back