low temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaychalm

Reaction score
Hi, im currently brewing my first brew :), but im stuck at 18 degrees celcius and cant seem to get it to reach 20. will this work? im using a 2 can kit which says the fermenting process will take around 4-6 days. with my temp being low should i leave it longer?

most ale yeast will ferment that low it will just take a little longer trust your hydrometer samples they wont lie to you if they are the same 2 times in a row then its a safe bet to move to secondary fermentation

18 should be ok. May actually be a little warm once things get going. Fermentation will create its own heat and the temp in the beer can be much warmer than ambient, like 5 degrees, sometimes more.

I would also recommend not trying to hold to the timeline in the instructions. It will be done when it is done. I would wait at least a week, maybe even two, before checking the gravity the first time, then again a few days later. A little extra time is better than not enough. If it is stable I would go straight into the bottles, no secondary. Assuming nothing is being added and this being your first brew, secondary isn't worth the extra risk of infection.

You should be fine. That is a little on the lower side, but once fermentation is active your actual temperature should be a little higher than 18c!

Depending on what yeast you are using that may be the best temperature for fermentation. 24 is too warm. I think you are good to go.

I ferment most of my ales between 18.3 and 18.9 or 65-66 Fahrenheit.

The first thing to do is throw out the instructions that come with the "kits." Yes you are fine at 18 deg C. No, 4 to 6 days is not long enough. 2 weeks min., I prefer 3.

Back