Low SG??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattymc

Reaction score
I started a cream ale a week and half ago. The Og was 1042 when I added to the primary. I just did a check before I racked to the secondary and it is at 1009. Does that make sense? Isn't that low?

Thanks for the help!

Matt

It could be low but without seeing your recipe and process its very hard to say.

Here is the recipe we used.

Shaftebury Cream Ale - O.G. - 1.042
6lb 10 oz pale malt extract
4 oz carapils malt
5 oz British crystal malt
4 oz chocolate malt
1 oz willamette \1/2 oz cascade blend together and boil 75% for 1 hour / use 25% for finishing
ale yeast

Are you adjusting the sg for the temp of the beer/wort? If it's done fermenting, that reading is only off by .02 - its most likely exactly where it should be :)

It looks like your OG was .02 lower than it should be as well so maybe you just have a little extra water. It's fine.

Thanks for the help!!

Ok I should add water? How much do you think I should add? What happens if I dont? just a stronger beer?

NO no extra water, what on earth for?? You're fine. You had good fermentation, 79% attenuation, why the worry? Bottle it and enjoy it!

Listen, when you turn pro you can obsess over 2 points of SG. But not today.

Thanks for the help guys! I didn't put any water in, just left it as is.

Back