Low salt cheese recipes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I need pizza to live. Due to some misfortunes, I now must avoid salt. I'd like to try making mozzarella with either no salt or with potassium chloride as a salt substitute. Is this possible? Currently I'm trying to stomach Russian farmer cheese. It doesn't melt and it's weirdly funky. Please help me.

Making Mozz traditionally, with cultures is not easy. The pH the cheese needs to hit has a very small range: too acidic or too alkaline and you cannot stretch the cheese. Even if you add acids rather than cultures you still need to add the "perfect" amount pf acidity for the same reason and unless you are monitoring the pH the likelihood that you will know you've hit the sweet spot when you begin to heat the cheese is very low. I suspect that the only way to make a successful Mozz frequently is to make Mozz often enough to know what is in your kettle.

Latest posts

Back