Low room temperature fermentation for Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tpurnick

Reaction score
I started my first brew yesterday and pitches the yeast at around 3:00 PM when the wort was at 56/58 Degrees. The room have for fermentation is an ambient 60 degrees. I was not expecting to see anything as far as fermentation today but when I got home from work at around 6:00pm I see that fermentation has started.

Should I feel good about this?

The other question I have is after primary I am going to dry hop. Should I bring it into a 70 degree environment for the secondary?

Thanks for any input.

Day two 6pm 60 Degrees.jpg

Yes, you did good. :)
Fermentation temps are pretty critical to good beer. Ideally, the fermentation begins at the low end of the yeast temp spread, and then as fermentation slows down, the temp is raised a bit at a time towards the upper end of the spread. You should always know the temp spread of your yeast.
The idea is slow and steady.
Keep in mind, the yeast produce their own heat, so the temp must be taken at the fermentor and not the ambient air.

I'm also currently fermenting at 60. It's no problem, but after about 4 days, make sure to try to bring the temp up to help the fermentation finish. Dry hopping at 60 is fine, too.

Fermentation is active metabolism that increases temperature within the fermenter. Typically by 1-3 degrees depending on the geometry of your fermenter and the volume/chemistry what is being fermented.

Nothing wrong with 60F ambient, especially since you have good sign of activity.

Your liquid at this stage is likely 3-5 degrees higher than the surrounding air. You may want to let it ride 5-7 extra days considering the lower temp, but the benefit is a cleaner result in the end.

I've got a batch of brown ale that's 2 days into fermenting with Nottingham dry yeast at a constant 55F (measured on the side of the vessel). I plan to keep it there 10-14 days and then slowly bring it up to 63F to finish.

what yeast are you using? yeasts have different tolerances and optimal temps. can't offer much useful advice until we know this.

you've obviously got some action in there so you're doing something right :mug:

after fermentation has peaked, consider moving the carboy to somewhere warmer. it'll help the yeasties finish up by giving them a "heat kicker" just as they're about to crap out.

what yeast are you using? yeasts have different tolerances and optimal temps. can't offer much useful advice until we know this.

you've obviously got some action in there so you're doing something right :mug:

after fermentation has peaked, consider moving the carboy to somewhere warmer. it'll help the yeasties finish up by giving them a "heat kicker" just as they're about to crap out.

Thanks sweetcell, it was Nottingham Ale Yeast (Danstar)

Thanks sweetcell, it was Nottingham Ale Yeast (Danstar)

Since you're using Nottingham, you did great. Your 60F room temp is spot-on for the "exponential growth phase" which takes place during the first week.

It is an ale yeast, but can function well at temps down into the mid-50's. It's when fermentation temps get into the 70's during that growth phase that off-flavors from Notty are sometimes reported.

If you've fermented on the cold end of the ale range (like you and I are both now doing), it is suggested to warm to 65-70 for the last few days to allow the yeast to consume much of the diacetyl that might have been produced during the growth phase. After 2 weeks at 55F, I plan to slowly bring mine up to 67F, leave it there a couple of days, and then check the FG.

A basic explanation about yeast activity phases can be found here- http://www.whitelabs.com/beer/Yeast_Life_Cycle.pdf

of all the yeasts you could have used, Nottingham is a good one for that temp range. 56-58*F is on the low side, 62-64 would be better, but Notty should be ok at your lower temps. also, as fermentation got going, the yeast would have produced their own heat and raised the temps a few degrees.

at the first signs of things slowing down, i would move the carboy to the 70*F part of the house. you really want to control temps during those first few days (too hot and you'll get some nail polish remover-like alcohol flavors), after that you can go warmer with little impact.

Just got home from work and here is where its at. I think I might need to rig a blowoff tube, but I want to wait as long as I can.

Day 3 430pm 64 Degrees.jpg

7:30 and had to put together a blowoff tube. Never did one before, so I just sprayed everything with Starsan and stuck a tube on the airlock. The tube is not food grade, but I think it should be OK for the night. Tomorrow, if slowed, I will by a new airlock and replace what I have going on, or should I just leave it alone for a few days.???

Day 3 731pm 64-66 Degrees.jpg

If you've fermented on the cold end of the ale range (like you and I are both now doing), it is suggested to warm to 65-70 for the last few days to allow the yeast to consume much of the diacetyl that might have been produced during the growth phase. After 2 weeks at 55F, I plan to slowly bring mine up to 67F, leave it there a couple of days, and then check the FG.

you are absolutely correct, but waiting 2 weeks to raise temps is probably a bit too long. instead of waiting a set number of days, you should start ramping up the temps when fermentation activity start to slow down. typically that's 3-6 days after you pitch. 2 weeks is a bit much - by then most fermentation will be over in an average-strength beer and there will be very few active yeast cells to take advantage of the boost that comes from additional heat. you want to get them excited with warmth while the yeast are still actively munching on sugars.

Tomorrow, if slowed, I will by a new airlock and replace what I have going on, or should I just leave it alone for a few days.???

I'm assuming that the other end of the tube is sitting in a bucket of StarSan.

You could pull your airlock off, clean it, re-sanitize it and put it back on (with the blowoff tube if it's still erupting). No need to buy a new one that I know of.

Clean any exposed residue there around your stopper/airlock where little critters can land on it, multiply and get into your beer. StarSan in a spray bottle is your friend.

I'm assuming that the other end of the tube is sitting in a bucket of StarSan.

You could pull your airlock off, clean it, re-sanitize it and put it back on (with the blowoff tube if it's still erupting). No need to buy a new one that I know of.

Clean any exposed residue there around your stopper/airlock where little critters can land on it, multiply and get into your beer. StarSan in a spray bottle is your friend.

Thanks BigFloyed! Yes it is in a bucket of StarSan. How long it Starsan good for once you mix it up?

Thanks BigFloyed! Yes it is in a bucket of StarSan. How long it Starsan good for once you mix it up?
quite some time. unless you dilute it, it can last for months. personally i keep it for 2 or 3 batches then replace it. folks have done experiments that show that it can last a long time, as long as it maintains its pH. so one way to know for sure is to get a pH meter. toss out the star san once it goes above 3.5.

I also recall reading that it keeps longer if you use distilled water. I don't remember why.

For the StarSan I keep in my spray bottle, I toss 1/5oz of concentrate into a 1 gallon jug of distilled water and shake it up. For bigger brew day soaking amounts that I'll be tossing out, tap water is good.

Not sure you need to raise temps on the Nottingham to get it to finish. I've brewed a dozen batches on it, and just let it ride for 3-4 weeks at 60*. Always finishes at 1.011-1.015 for me. Very clean, almost too clean, IMO, at that temp.

Not sure you need to raise temps on the Nottingham to get it to finish. I've brewed a dozen batches on it, and just let it ride for 3-4 weeks at 60*. Always finishes at 1.011-1.015 for me. Very clean, almost too clean, IMO, at that temp.

I'll have to raise my current Notty batch up 5 degrees to get to 60*F. :D

It's been quite active at 55*F. It peaked with a lovely white, thick layer of krausen, held through days 3-4 and is just now starting to subside on day 5. I plan to wait a couple more days, slowly raise it up to 64*F, and leave it there for the rest of the second week to finish.

My fermentation room has been at a solid 62 since brew day and fermentation reached 70 degrees at it’s peek. Right now things are pretty quiet and the temp of the beer is holding at around 66 degrees. I could bring it into the house (70 degrees,) but I’m not sure.

Also, I need to rack and dry hop and am thinking about doing that on Sunday (one week). Is that too soon? If I do, should I bring it into a warmer temperature for the duration?

Any thoughts?

My fermentation room has been at a solid 62 since brew day and fermentation reached 70 degrees at it’s peek. Right now things are pretty quiet and the temp of the beer is holding at around 66 degrees. I could bring it into the house (70 degrees,) but I’m not sure.

Also, I need to rack and dry hop and am thinking about doing that on Sunday (one week). Is that too soon? If I do, should I bring it into a warmer temperature for the duration?

Any thoughts?

I'd leave it at 66*F for the duration, even after you've racked to the secondary.

If you're going to dry hop in the secondary, you may want to let this one sit in the primary a bit longer so your dry hopping runs for about 7 days before bottling.

I'll have to raise my current Notty batch up 5 degrees to get to 60*F. :D

It's been quite active at 55*F. It peaked with a lovely white, thick layer of krausen, held through days 3-4 and is just now starting to subside on day 5. I plan to wait a couple more days, slowly raise it up to 64*F, and leave it there for the rest of the second week to finish.

Never seen mine get that low, but it keeps chugging nicely in the 58-60 range. Good to know!

Never seen mine get that low, but it keeps chugging nicely in the 58-60 range. Good to know!

Mine was that low on purpose, seeking to obtain a more lager-like result.

That's what I had set on my digital controller that governs the temperature inside my chest freezer/fermentation chamber for the first 5-1/2 days when it's most active (the exponential growth or "log" phase). Now, I'm slowly bringing it up a bit.

I'd leave it at 66*F for the duration, even after you've racked to the secondary.

If you're going to dry hop in the secondary, you may want to let this one sit in the primary a bit longer so your dry hopping runs for about 7 days before bottling.

Checked the temp this morning and it was down to 62 degrees so I moved it into the house to get it back to the mid 60's. I might have to go back and forth untill my beer room gets a little warmer.

Back