Low Profile Water Heater as a HLT/BK?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

szac

Reaction score
Any reason why I couldn't just remove the top from this and brew? Probably add a 2000w low density element, switch out the bulkhead, etc.
Whirlpool 20-Gallon Low-Profile Electric Water Heater

035505862662md.jpg

Specs:

Water Heater Style: Low Profile
Tank Capacity (Gallons): 20.0
Family Size: 2
Warranty: 6-Year
Number of Elements: 1
Element Wattage (Watts): 1500
Type of Element: Copper
Voltage (Volts): 120.0
Height (Inches): 25.0
Water Connection Location: Side
Water Connection Size: 3/4"
Temperature and Pressure Relief Valve: Yes
GPH Recovery at 90 Degrees F (Gallons): 6.9
Energy Factor: 0.76
Foam Insulation: Yes
UL Listed: Yes
CSA Listed: Yes
ETL Listed: Yes
Commercial / Residential: Residential

You can't build a boil kettle or hlt under $300? Or is that not an issue?
I'd sya the current 1500 Watt would work fine as a HLT. But if you'r going to go replacing the element to use it as a BK, aren't you basically buyin a $300 pot?

I contemplated doing the same for a ready made HLT. However, after a cost comparison, given that you still need to gut the thermostat, add a controller, etc. it was cheaper building one from scratch. Now, if you have buckets of money to throw away, it could be done at least the HLT part, or you could use it as an expensive heat exchanger for a HERMS.

I guess I was thinking that the extra costs would offset the extra safety in having a vessel manufactured for heating liquids. Granted removing the top would make less safe, etc..

Seems like one could be built for less than $300 if you eliminate a controller and just plug it in to a GFI. Ya?

I guess I was thinking that the extra costs would offset the extra safety in having a vessel manufactured for heating liquids. Granted removing the top would make less safe, etc..

Seems like one could be built for less than $300 if you eliminate a controller and just plug it in to a GFI. Ya?

You can build a HLT for less then $300 even with a controller. But you could do it for less then $100 if you already have the cooler/keggle and do not use a controller.

Back