Low Oxygen Milling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joenearboston

Reaction score
Hello low oxygen enthusiasts,

I am new to LiDo techniques and am excited to try this out for the first time on my Helles. The following paper suggests German brewers begin low oxygen techniques even before the grain is milled. They seem to be flushing the milling process with nitrogen.
http://www.germanbrewing.net/docs/On_Brewing_Bavarian_Helles_v3.pdf

I do not have nitrogen available in my setup. I was thinking of trying out low oxygen milling along with the other hot side recommendations described in this forum (low oxygen strike water, bottom letting, mash cap, etc). I was thinking of some variation of the setup in the picture attached. Force CO2 from bottom of my mash tun while milling with an airtight seal around the mill station. The positive pressure of the CO2 would leak between mill rollers. Opinions? Not worth the trouble?

IMG_2851.JPG

You mentioned that you were new to low oxygen so I'm assuming this is one of the first steps you are considering applying to your process. If so you should think about pushing back implementation of this particular tweak since it's not one of the more important changes you can make. First on the list should de-aerating your strike water and getting the meta dosing figured out. Then eliminating major points of oxygen ingress in your system and so forth.

Back