Low original gravity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewinginCO

Reaction score
I just finished getting my second brew into the fermenter. I am a little concerned because my OG was very low. My recipe was:

6 lb pale malt extract
1 lb crystal 40 malt
.5 lb victory malt

The specialty malts were steeped at 160 F for 30 min and then strained into the brew pot. I then boiled this with the malt extract for about 1 hr in about 2.5-3 gallons of water.

After cooling, I poured the wort into the carboy and added distilled water to bring the total to 5 gallons. I tried to shake everything well. My measured OG was 1022 @ 70 degrees. I was expecting it to be closer to 1040

I'm guessing I didn't mix the fresh water with wort enough, hopefully the yeast will do that for me now!

Any other thoughts?
Thanks

Most likely even with the shaking, it didn't mix uniformly. When using extract, the fermentables are there, so I'd use the calculated value for my OG.

Edit: by that, I mean folks doing AG batches can have a low efficiency mash, but the sugars in the extract are there and unless you accidentally dump them behind the stove there gonna be in the wort.

Rick

I have active fermentation this morning :mug:

Now I have to decide on what to brew next.

Back