Low OG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iamleescott

Reaction score
Brewing my 3rd brew today - Cream Ale.

OG target: 1.055
Actual: 1.044

Should I be concerned? What action could I take to raise the OG?

Thanks
Lee

Extract or all grain?

Either way, you can add more extract, but... first check these:
  • Did you mix the wort well before taking a sample?
  • Measured at 60°F?
  • Is your hydrometer calibrated?

Extract or all grain?

Either way, you can add more extract, but... first check these:
  • Did you mix the wort well before taking a sample?
  • Measured at 60°F?
  • Is your hydrometer calibrated?
It's all grain (BIAB)

I did not mix before I took the gravity reading... As I was transferring to the fermenting bucket, I drew a sample.

The sample was at approx 65°f..whivh I adjusted for.

If it was a full boil and you didn't add any water after the boil, the wort is pretty much homogenous. Stirring should not make a difference, then.
  1. Are you exactly at your target volume? That can make all the difference.
  2. How did your grain look? Very coarsely milled perhaps? That's the #1 cause of a low OG with all grain.
  3. Did you squeeze the bag and sparge it some? You can literally wring a few more points out of it.
65F is close enough. If the wort was 120F or so it would read much lower than it really is at 60 or 65F.

Do you have any (light) extract around? You can add that to raise your OG.

If it was a full boil and you didn't add any water after the boil, the wort is pretty much homogenous. Stirring should not make a difference, then.
  1. Are you exactly at your target volume? That can make all the difference.
  2. How did your grain look? Very coarsely milled perhaps? That's the #1 cause of a low OG with all grain.
  3. Did you squeeze the bag and sparge it some? You can literally wring a few more points out of it.
65F is close enough. If the wort was 120F or so it would read much lower than it really is at 60 or 65F.

Do you have any (light) extract around? You can add that to raise your OG.

1) I'm exactly at 4 gal, where I wanted.
2) grain looked good
3) I squeezed that bag... And emptied liquid to boil.

No DME to hand or any sugar. Brewers Friend calculated 14oz of dextrose... Which I dont have...

I've already pitched the yeast... Could I add the sugar tomorrow even though the yeast is in?

I'd roll with what you got and next time be prepared with some dme. Or just compensate for a lower efficiancy and add more grains. Also take steps to up your efficiancy

You shouldn't be concerned regarding having a drinkable beer at the end. Adjust your numbers for the next brew. I am not a fan of bumping the gravity with extract or sugars.

It's actually better to wait with adding sugars until the fermentation is slowing down, like when it's 50-70% done.
You can add DME (dissolved in some hot water first) giving extra body and malt flavor (and a little higher FG), regular sugar, or dextrose, raising the alcohol without body and (much) flavor, keeping the FG the same.

Many DIPAs use sugar adjunct to "thin" the body somewhat while boosting alcohol. Half a pound to a pound in a 5 gallon batch is an average amount.

Did you measure the gravity before the boil? That's the best indication of being on target. It could be your mash efficiency is set too high in your recipe formulator. Lowering it will closer predict your gravities. With BIAB you should be able to get 80-85% mash efficiency. A little lower for higher gravity ales (>1.080).

Take a good look at the grain next time. It should be rather fine for BIAB, with some flour and absolutely no whole kernels. Most LHBS mills mill too coarsely. Milling it 2x may help somewhat but a narrower gap is the best answer. Or just add an extra pound or so of 2-row to compensate.

It's actually better to wait with adding sugars until the fermentation is slowing down, like when it's 50-70% done.
You can add DME (dissolved in some hot water first) giving extra body and malt flavor (and a little higher FG), regular sugar, or dextrose, raising the alcohol without body and (much) flavor, keeping the FG the same.

Many DIPAs use sugar adjunct to "thin" the body somewhat while boosting alcohol. Half a pound to a pound in a 5 gallon batch is an average amount.

Did you measure the gravity before the boil? That's the best indication of being on target. It could be your mash efficiency is set too high in your recipe formulator. Lowering it will closer predict your gravities. With BIAB you should be able to get 80-85% mash efficiency. A little lower for higher gravity ales (>1.080).

Take a good look at the grain next time. It should be rather fine for BIAB, with some flour and absolutely no whole kernels. Most LHBS mills mill too coarsely. Milling it 2x may help somewhat but a narrower gap is the best answer. Or just add an extra pound or so of 2-row to compensate.
So much good information... Thank you so much for your time and thought on this one!

Back