low OG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sputnam

Reaction score
My last 20 or so batches have been super close to dead on for OG. I brewed 2 today and they were off .009 and .012 points. I didn't change anything in my process. I'm starting to think the process by which they were milled changed. I bought a third batch at the same time that I will be doing next weekend. If that one is off that much, do you think that would be a fair assumption?

How will this affect my beer? I assume it will will still be good but maybe not quite as intended????

There are multiple things that can cause efficiency to fluctuate. Process, which you're saying hasn't changed is one. Milling has an obvious effect. Size of the beer. When I'm doing a beer under 9lbs I regularly hit around 90-93%. As the grain bill goes up, efficiency has a tendency to drop. Without specifics on your system, it's hard to say if that's your problem, but personally anything over 15lbs for a 5 gallon batch will drop me to about 75% efficiency unless I adjust my boil times to leave me with more sparge water. If could also be the ingredients in your bill, I find I get about 5% lower efficiency when using higher amounts of wheat.

As you said, I would expect your beer to be good, but potentially have a different balance. Lower OG means less alcohol and could lead to a more hopped profile. Higher perceived IBU's. It might not be noticeable, but it might.

How was the crush?

purchased....the crush was my first suspect. I bought 3 batches and brewed 2 and both OG's were way off. I'm no old timer by any means but I have been getting my numbers and none of my equipment changed. I will be brewing the third batch this saturday. If I still get bad readings I'll definitely blame the LHBS. But, I'm also getting a grain mill soon. If it comes before saturday, I'll probably mill that batch myself.

Also, I am not experienced enough to know what milled grain needs to look like.

Back